Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arctictropical

Updated pics of 4 outdoor palms, zone 4

arctictropical
11 years ago

My 15' Trachy that just finished blooming:

My 20+ year old male Mediterranean Fan Palm, just starting to bloom:

My Washingtonia that I thought died, since it lost all of it's fronds..... It's finally sending out new fronds!

My new Mexican Blue (Hesper) palm. Just planted it outside this Spring:

Comments (21)

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, that's a bison in the pasture behind my Trachy. My brother has a herd of about 20-25 of them.

• RichardC7
    11 years ago

Love the pics! what type of protection do you use, if any?! your trees are absolutly stunning!

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Richard. My protection for all of the palms are 4' x 4' Styrofoam boxes with 3 florescent screw-in light bulbs at the top of each box. the 15' palm is under an 8 foot 4' x 4' box on top of a base of many layers of railroad ties.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Wow, they are looking awesome. I've never seen such a thick growing bud on a washingtonia! You really know how to keep those palms growing their best!
    My Med fan palm bloomed for the first time this spring! They seem to be really early bloomers as far as palms go.
    And the Blue Hesper palm is really beautiful! I wish I could find one that size!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Alex. How old and tall is your Med fan palm? Do you know if it's male or female? I'm hoping the Hesper palm is as hardy as the others. It seems pretty tough. I bought it on sale at an amazing nursery in Las Vegas called "Plant World". Good luck!

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Those suckers are huge!

What do you think happened with the Washy?

Click for weather forecast

• mastiffhoo
    11 years ago

amazing... I could only imagine the conversations your palms stir up!

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Jim. I have no idea what happened to the Washy. Especially since we had a very mild winter. I wish I knew! Thanks Mastiffhoo. Not many conversations, but LOTS of people who stop to look at the 15' palm adjacent to the road. I'd seen more than one car slam on their brakes!

• andyandy
    11 years ago

That is Awesome, you must really take care of them through the winter

• chadec
    11 years ago

Love the blue Hesper palm. Hope it works out for you. Cause I might have to get one for myself! Seems odd looking at the Trachy and there not being snow in the background. I just imagined that in z4 you lived at the north pole.lol

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Andyandy. My Styrofoam boxes work well. Chadec, Normally you'd see snow in those far mountains, but we had an abnormally low snow pack this year, so it's all melted already. There's still a little snow on our mountains west of us that you can't see in the pictures. These pictures are taken looking south.

• southwestmissouri
    11 years ago

Wow! What your doing really give me hope here in Springfield Mo Zone 6 ! Thanks for the pictures. I have a Pindo and a Windmill and I'm going to try the same method with them by using insulated boxes! That has to be funny seeing people looking at the palm!

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

How do you get a box that big? Do you have any pics of it covered in winter? I bet that folks are awfully curious about what that big box is, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Beach Weather

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Southwestmissouri... you can do it! LagoMar, here's a couple of pics of the boxes in winter. There are 3 screw-in florescent light bulbs in the top of each box to give them some heat. You'd be surprised how much heat builds up in the boxes just from these energy efficient light bulbs! I've got a buddy here in Utah that has modified my design and made his boxes collapsible. I just store mine at the back of my lot behind my garden shed.

Here's a pic of the Trachy before the 8' box went on top, taken around the end of October.

Here's a pic of the box on top of the railroad ties in Winter.

Here's a pic of the box over one of the smaller palms:

• Tristan Pierson
    11 years ago

Where do you get styrofoam boxes like you use? This is my first year growing palms out here in Halfway Oregon. And also do you mulch? Put something on the trunks? I'm getting a Chinese windmill palm. And a needle palm.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

My med fan palm is in it's fourth summer now and its about 3 feet tall. Its defintiely a male. I think it's picking up speed this year since it already looks fuller and taller than this time last year!
    I would love for mine to look like yours one day, but I think its a very long way from that! I'll definitely check that nursury out although I doubt I will be able to buy anything from it from here! I wish Braheas were more common in the Southeast so they would be more available here too! They are beautifulpalms, I know you'll have lots of luck with it!

-Alex

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi tristanpierson. I build the boxes out of standard 2" thick construction "blueboard" Styrofoam and pine lumber. I put them together with screws, caulk and paint them, then cover them with clear plastic. I don't use any mulch and don't cover the trunks. I just put the boxes on. That's all! Good luck. Good luck Alex. Those Med. fan palms are extremely slow growing. Less than half the speed of the Trachy and Washingtonia. Post some pics!

• Tristan Pierson
    11 years ago

Ok thanks I'll try that

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

I'm always in awe off the amount of work and types of winter "life support" it takes. I'm frustrated because I have to wrap one pindo in the winter, and it doesn't even need heat (so far). Luckily I don't need any protection for windmills. Nice job as always.

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey, wetsuiter.... Lucky you! We zone 4 people can only dream about a warmer climate. Global warming? I don't have much faith in it, but... bring it on!

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

I definitely will be posting some pics soon! Thinking about doing a thread today!
    -Alex

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor