Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sago Palm toxic to humans?

Posted by eliza_beth_2010 Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 19, 10 at 0:49

Has anyone heard of a human poisoned by a Sago Palm? My husband spent over 5 hrs. up under our huge plant trimming all the lower branches. The next day he began running a fever, which has lasted 4 wks. He is now in the hospital with an infected, inflammed colon, extreme nausea, diarhea with blood and he is not responding to antibiotics. We are wondering if this could be the source. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sago Palm toxic to humans?

I have one and i think the only way it can harm people is if you eat it. Unless your alergic to it

o

It is indeed toxic to people, but I have not heard of it being a problem from contact... you have to eat it, and quite a bit of it if you are a large person. Causes liver damage.

o

Eliza beth,

Hope your hubby is feeling better...

Thinking of you and your family and hoping that they find the answer soon!!

Laura in VB

o

Its only toxic to humans if you eat it, but maybe is sensitive, possibly allergic, to cycads. Did he accidentally eat some?? Ive never heard of anyone getting that sick just by contact with a sago palm and it sounds like something that would only happen if he ate it or it could be something else entirely. If his condition doesnt improve soon I definitely suggest you see a doctor.

Good luck!
-Alex

o

• Posted by corar 9A, Jax (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 19, 10 at 12:50

considering the severity of your husbands' symptoms, I'm wondering if he could have inhaled/ingested some of the white fungus that has destroyed so many Sago in the past year or two. OR had he recently sprayed or dusted the Sago with a fungicide or pest control of some sort? Garden chemicals can be SO dangerous. I do hope he has recovered by now.
cora

o

I didnt read that he was in the hospital so I guess he already has seen a doctor.
I hope he gets better soon!
-ALex

o

After two days of being stuck by one of the leaf needles, I too had fever,flu like aching, large red swelling behind my elbow. I went to ER, they lanced it and prescribed antibodies and pain meds. This is day 4 with still swelling, redness,and pain. but no fever or ache. I will try to get in to a regular dr.

o

I'm staying away from those! Especially with my allergies!

o

Sorry to hear about your husband. I hope he gets better soon! That is scary stuff, esp if they are unable to pinpoint a cause.

Yeah, they are poisonous, but as has been stated only if you eat them. Further, its the SEEDS that are far and away the MOST poisonous part too. They look like big red berries and can be tempting to animals or small children which can cause serious problems if ingested by either. But again, you have to eat them. I know that one CAN have a slight allergic reaction of their skin is pierced by one of the needles, but usually such reactions are fairly mild. I know that when I have been scratched by mine I've gotten a little itchy around where it got me, but nothing more and that goes away in a few minutes.

The white stuff that is killing off sago palms in the south I think is cycad Scale, and not a fungus. That said, I wonder if you disturb them enough and their fluff flies off and one inhales it if someone could be allergic to that or if that could cause illness?

OR, there was some kind of fungus on/ around the plant that was disturbed and possibly inhaled? Tough to say, but those certainly are possibilities.

Sending good positive thoughts your way!

o

Hi, I was pulling weeds underneath my sago....I was poked by the fronds on my forearm. They have since blistered and have been itching like crazy for over a week. Does anyone know how long this will last? I used and anti itch medicine and external antibiotic gel but it still looks terrible and still itches!

o

If it's been a week, you might want to see a doctor about it. It's probably just an allergic reaction, but it might be infected despite the OTC antibiotic ointment. If you're using hydrocortisone as the "anti-itch" medication, you might want to consider an antihistamine ointment/cream like benadryl, it is more powerful than the hydrocortisone, and you can use both together actually.

I had a similar reaction to parsnip foliage, itchy red fluid filled blisters. They took a while to completely go away. I took OTC antihistamines which helped take the itch away.

o

my dad has two of these. they sting when they poke you and they can get slightly infected. my dad has been hospitalised due to getting poked in the past. I have also stepped on one after it was pruned and my foot got so swollen I couldn't wear shoes for a week. I would hate to think what several pokes would do

I don' know the specific name of them, though I have been told once. if i find out I will post again. I have tried googling it to no avail.

o

I hope he is feeling better. In future if this occures make sure he is drinking LOTS of fluids and anti nausea medications. Give him day quil or tylenol to reduce his fever. The last thing you want is for him to get dehydrated (it can raise his fever). This could have contributed to his 4 weeks of fever!

Hope he's ok!

o

Also, if you have swelling, ICE it for 10-15 mins at a time. Then take a brake for a while and start again. (You don't want frostbite from too much ice)

o

This is serious guys, I was removing my young sago palm from my garden when I was painful stuck three times from the long needles who grows on the trunk, in the next day I start having burn itching around my eyes and legs and arm. two days later my eyes start to swelling very bad and a had to use ice every one hour to relive the swelling. Next day went to a doctor for treatment. I was given a shot of depomedrol plus pills of cetirizine and prednisone. The itching problem disappear in the next day and the swelling eyes took about three days. Thanks god not a single allergic reaction to the prescription but I stay away from that beautiful palm.

o

Definitely something to keep in mind. I wonder if it's kind of like poison oak and poison ivy when it comes down to who has a reaction? I'm not allergic to either of those and can literally pull them up by hand without any reaction...same with my sago's, been stuck and pricked hundreds of times with no reaction. I do wear long sleeves when I prune and gloves though as a precaution.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here