Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cuja1

question about winter protection

Jeff Ashenfelter
11 years ago

I've seen various pictures of people enclosing their plants in boxes or other enclosures that are the color white. I would think that black would be a better color because it absorbs more heat. Can anyone explain this? It also confuses me that polar bears have white fur and somehow this is conducive to keeping them warmer in the winter.

Comments (12)

• denninmi
    11 years ago

The problem with using something dark is that it only takes one abnormally warm, sunny day at some point in the period to cook the contents of the enclosure.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

I don't know about plant boxes, but... in the case of Polar Bears, they have lots of fat to help keep them warm. And while their fur is white, their skin is black, so they do gain some heat from absorbing sunlight. The white fur is for camouflage.

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

The outside of my enclosures are actually made of plastic sheeting, so daytime temps can warm up above freezing, usually into the 50s, while nighttime temps only stay a couple degrees higher than the nighttime low. Perfect for keeping trachys dormant, but letting them warm up enough to keep them alive and give them a break from the freezing temps.

As mentioned above, on abnormally warm days, I do have to open the enclosure a little to let excess heat out to keep my windmills from breaking dormancy.

• mastiffhoo
    11 years ago

Concerning Polar Bears, the way I understood it is their fur is transparent and only appears white. "The hair of a polar bear looks white because the air spaces in each hair scatter light of all colors. The color white becomes visible to our eyes when an object reflects back all of the visible wavelengths of light, rather than absorbing some of the wavelengths."

• Jeff Ashenfelter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

O.k. thank you. What do you think the possibility is of having success with a trachy in zone 5b/6a Sppringfield, IL with protection?

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

There are people on here growing windmills in colder climates than yours. It just depends on how much life support you're willing to provide. Lots of old threads here with lots of great, impressive pics you can search for.

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

As long as it's protected correctly, you should have no problem growing a windmill. They're one of the easiest palms to grow with protection.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

I don't think it can be done....... : p

Click for weather forecast

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

...says the king of palm life support...

• Jeff Ashenfelter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've seen your pics Jim. They are quite impressive! I was just planning on wrapping it in blankets and covering it with a box. No electricity or anything. It would also be in a corner of my house protected from north and west winds about 3 feet from the house.
    By the way Jim, I noticed you have a yucca rostrata. Do you think they would survive without protection from winter wetness where you're at?

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

I don't think any trunking Yucca would make it here but never tried outside.

I may try some of this stuff in another spot and not protect it.....maybe...

I would love to give away my Imbricata that fell over!

I did protect a Needle palm with a leaf cage once(-18F that winter)it lived and is still here....

The blanket may work well at keeping the moisture of the plant but it's anyone's guess how well a palm would do
    with no heat in zone 5...long term.

Good luck

King of spear-pull!(-;

Click for weather forecast

• arctictropical
    11 years ago

Since my large palm boxes are made of 2" Styrofoam, painting them black wouldn't make any difference in transfering heat to the inside of the boxes. I paint them white because I think it looks better than the blueboard color, and it seals the foam.