Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Palm Seed germination

Posted by acaryofyllis Blacktown, Australia (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 1:39

Hi, Recently I have purchased Palm Seeds (Cocos,Bangalow and Pigmy Date) from eBay and have planted them in plastic trays with drainage holes with Potting Mix and Peat Moss and Seed Raising Mix. I have had them planted since early May wrapped in a plastic tarp inside a plastic Coldframe and am a bit concerned as to why they haven't germinated yet. I have found a seed in the soil that HAS NOT GOT ONE ROOT YET!!. Should I be concerned?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Palm Seed germination

The "Cocos" would be Syagrus romanzoffiana. They generally germinate quite readily. In fact in many areas they've been declared a weed and are being removed by councils.

The Bangalows, Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, are also generally easy to germinate.

Pygmy Date, Phoenix roebellenii, I don't really know, but on another forum recently I got into a discussion with someone whose palm had seeded and produced lots of seedlings.

Most palm seed tend to be slow to germinate, some of them taking over a year. Those of yours are faster than that but you probably need to have them warmer. I usually put them in ziplock bags with some sphagnum moss and keep them on the fridge. You can see through the bag how they're going. Soaking them for a day or two beforehand also helps.

Early April I set up about a dozen different species, already had a couple from last September and then added a few more in May. It's been a very mixed result so far, the majority haven't shown any sign of germinating while some are going gangbusters. You need a lot of patience with palm seeds, I wouldn't be concerned yet with yours.

o
RE: Palm Seed germination

Hi
i generally find those to be rather easy,usually within 1/2 months with much better results with temps above 75
Might add that I've had very poor results from purchased seeds .usually go ut and collect my own then I'm sure they're fresh.
I would give yours more time as long as they haven't rotted . I have some "Bungalows going on 6 months but stll seem quite firm .So, since there really isn't much choice will wait longer lol Good luck gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here