Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotted Areca

Posted by panamajack 10b Santa Monica, CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 2:08

Thank you all for your wonderful advice. I decided to repot. I really did not want to risk losing the palm, since it looks so nice. It was in a 16x16 pot, so I upgraded it to a 24x24 pot. Much larger, has plenty of new, good soil to keep growing. Topped the soil with lava rocks, looks very Hawaiian. Again, thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it. I hope he's happy in his new home :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotted Areca

Another shot.

o

Maybe you don't plan on it but if you ever need to repot again, you will have to break the pot. Do you see how the pot begins to bulge outwards towards the top? Imagine now that new roots fill the soil spaces, the rootball will eventually fill the undercut. You won't be able to slide the rootball out.

x

o

Very nice! Your yard looks beautiful too! I agree with xerophyte, you might have a hard time repotting it in the future because of the shape of the pot, but it does look very nice right now!
Thanks for sharing!
-Alex

o

Thanks Alex and xerophyte. I'm not too worried about the repotting. Since I upgraded from a 16" pot to a 24" I think it's good there for 3-4 years, then we shall see what I do with it, maybe I'll move it to a different spot and plant it somewhere else. I don't mind breaking the pot at all, I know it's just a temporary home, my concern was that the Areca would keep growing healthy which I think now it can for 3-4 more years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here