Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with chlorotic king palms

Posted by jujubrazil 10a (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 2:21

Hi,
Two years ago we moved to a new home with deep green, lush king palms in the front yard and very chlorotic palms of the same species in the back yard. They have half as many leaves as the ones in the front. The leaves are mostly yellow with brown tips and dry prematurely.
Since then I have tried many things.
A year ago, we dug the soil 2 ft deep and mixed in organic compost. Increased the water. All the plants came back but the palms remained sick.
This spring, I treated the soil again with chelated iron in the recommended dosage and also osmocote. No changes in the palms, however, some plants around them burned with all the fertilizer.
I don't know what else to do... It puzzles me that I have the other healthy king palms in the same soil... My garden is heavily planted so I am considering injections at this point to avoid harming the nearby plants with too much feed. Please help?
Juliana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with chlorotic king palms

What's your soil p.H.? Did you use the right iron chelate for your soil?

o

More water. They sound water stressed.

o

Also..they are very sensitive to winds. If the front are sheltered,and the back are getting all the wind in your area,maybe wind funneled?...King palms desiccate easily in those situations. Again,more water helps.

o

Water, water, water. I used to have the same problem, then I started watering more often and more deeply and now my Kings are huge and very green. Water is very important, especially when the weather gets grossly dry (Santa Ana winds).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here