Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bottle palm

Posted by garyfla 10 Florida (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 3:59

Hi
My neighbors bottle palm is going to flower . Only took 14 years lol Is still under 15 feet and suffered terribly during the winters of 08/09 guess the unusually warm winter of 11 was the trick ?? It;s not a particularly attractive specimen but may give me some seeds to fiddle with lol??? gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bottle palm

wow 14 years, they are slow growers. i have two potted that I started from seed about 4 years old and they don't even have a foot of trunk. One of mine is starting to "look" like a bottle palm, with a swollen base.

o

I got mine as a seedling a few years back, I gave up after 4 years because even though it grew, it never actually looked like it grew. They are very slow, you can try some seeds, but if you want a nice plant in this decade, your definitely going to have to buy one!
Good luck!
-Alex

o

HD sells jumbo ones as landscaping trees in Houston. I tried all my tricks to get large bottle and spindles through the winters outdoors to no avail. Now moving medium sized ones indoors, in windows for winter.

o

Hi
I think the slow growth is a terrific advantage .So many palms quickly outgrow the area . It is interesting to note the various ones in my neighbor hood particularly the development of the "bulb. Runaway best is one in a ceramic pot easily wider than tall and I know it's been there for at least 20 years MUCH more interesting than those in the ground and talk about easy care lol
On a side note a Bismark palm planted in 1980 is seeding for the first time . Now that's slow?? lol gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here