Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
İs it filifera or robusta?

Posted by canil 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 6:37

Hi!

İ bought a young washingtonia palm but i don't know is it filifera or robusta.Can you help me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: İs it filifera or robusta?

Another photo:

o

Looks like filifera.

o

I thought my young Washys were Filifera too, because their petioles were all green. But as they got bigger, more and more maroon appeared on each new frond's petiole. Most that are available are hybrid Filibusta, so be on the lookout for maroon. But for now, yes, it strongly resembles Filifera.

o

Thank you,İ planted it in 8b/9a zone.İt means that it can survive easily.

o

I would need to see up close photos to tell for sure, but it could be either Washingtonia filifera or a Washingtonia filibusta hybrid. I bought thousand seeds of supposedly Washigtonia filifera from Anderson Seed seedcoseeds.com and 2 years later they turned out to be Washingtonia filibusta hybrid or even Washingtonia robusta with just a tiny bit of W. filifera genus. Two years and thousands of dollars wasted on wrong seeds. When you buy seeds, always request certified seeds and get it on paper and signed. It's very hard to find pure Washingtonia filifera these days. I had bought from other sources as well and instead of what I thought I purchased Wash. robusta turned out to be Wash. filifera or a filibusta hybrid. So far I have not found a single reliable source for Wash. filifera seeds. Even the W. filiferas that seemed to be pure filiferas, later started developing tawny patches at their leaf bases and darker green leaves, which look like Wash. robusta or filibusta.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here