Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaynboro

Middle TN pics

jaynboro
12 years ago

Captions are for pics above it, some stuff faired better than others this winter. Any advice for the brown tips on pindo? Or just leave it be?

Pindo palm after first year in ground

Alocasia porteii and tree philodendron coming back from last year

Sabal palmetto

Lotus and arrowhead

Dracaena spike approx. 4 yrs old

Comments (5)

• jaynboro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Had all kinds of trouble with captions this morning! Ha ha

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Everything looks great, pindo came thru great. Did you protect the sabal palmetto ?

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Beautiful!

Looks like you have had lot's of nice warm weather too!

• jaynboro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Chadec7a- the only protection i gave the sabal palmetto seedlings were planting them on the southwest side of house and putting a clay pot over top of them on really cold nights. A fellow palm lover gave me those seedlings and I honestly didn't think they would survive this winter so I didn't do a whole lot for them. They actually did better than some of the windmill palm seedlings I have. However, I really don't know what to think about them growing in my area; trying not to get too attached to them! Ha ha.
    On another note, the pic of your sabal minor with the inflorescence, how old is that plant? Just wondering how many years before mine does that.
    Jimhardy- Yes we have had some hot dry weather lately. Several weeks ago it seemed like it would never stop raining and now I am watering every day.....but sure beats the heck out of those winter months cooped up inside! Your cactus, palms and other plant pics are great. They helped me through the long winter! Ha ha

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

My sabal minors were planted 2 years ago as 3 gallon palms. They get 10 hours of sun everyday during the summer. This helps them become more cold hardy same as a sabal palmetto will. For me my minors are bullet proof and way outperform any palm (windmill or needle). I have 2 palmetto plants that are 2 years old and I was kinda worried about planting them at that size. but now I think I will find a place for them. Since we have such a long planting season March thru Nov. until the first frost in Dec. Sabals should do well. I worry that will change when they are taller and the crown is exposed and can't be protected by the house anymore. We'll see!