Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Middle TN pics

Posted by jaynboro 7 TN (jaynboro@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Jun 3, 11 at 6:54

Photobucket.
Photobucket.
Captions are for pics above it, some stuff faired better than others this winter. Any advice for the brown tips on pindo? Or just leave it be?
Photobucket.
Photobucket.
Photobucket.
Pindo palm after first year in ground
Photobucket.
Alocasia porteii and tree philodendron coming back from last year

Photobucket.
Photobucket.
Photobucket.
Sabal palmetto
Photobucket.
Photobucket.
Photobucket.
Lotus and arrowhead
Photobucket.
Dracaena spike approx. 4 yrs old
Photobucket.
Photobucket.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Middle TN pics

Had all kinds of trouble with captions this morning! Ha ha

o

Everything looks great, pindo came thru great. Did you protect the sabal palmetto ?

o

Beautiful!

Looks like you have had lot's of nice warm weather too!

o

Chadec7a- the only protection i gave the sabal palmetto seedlings were planting them on the southwest side of house and putting a clay pot over top of them on really cold nights. A fellow palm lover gave me those seedlings and I honestly didn't think they would survive this winter so I didn't do a whole lot for them. They actually did better than some of the windmill palm seedlings I have. However, I really don't know what to think about them growing in my area; trying not to get too attached to them! Ha ha.
On another note, the pic of your sabal minor with the inflorescence, how old is that plant? Just wondering how many years before mine does that.
Jimhardy- Yes we have had some hot dry weather lately. Several weeks ago it seemed like it would never stop raining and now I am watering every day.....but sure beats the heck out of those winter months cooped up inside! Your cactus, palms and other plant pics are great. They helped me through the long winter! Ha ha

o

My sabal minors were planted 2 years ago as 3 gallon palms. They get 10 hours of sun everyday during the summer. This helps them become more cold hardy same as a sabal palmetto will. For me my minors are bullet proof and way outperform any palm (windmill or needle). I have 2 palmetto plants that are 2 years old and I was kinda worried about planting them at that size. but now I think I will find a place for them. Since we have such a long planting season March thru Nov. until the first frost in Dec. Sabals should do well. I worry that will change when they are taller and the crown is exposed and can't be protected by the house anymore. We'll see!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here