Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aiphanes minima seed germination

Posted by KABird 8A (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 8:05

High all ;-)

I just recieved a gift of about two dozen aiphanes minima seeds and after hours of web searches with no real info yet found, am hoping someone here might be able to offer some info.

I have already started the "Standard" soaking routine, and think I will use the "Zip-Loc" method with a mix of pearl-lite, vermiculite and sand.

Thanks Again

Keith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aiphanes minima seed germination

I use mainly zip-loc or those plastic food containers, usually works well for me. If you maintain an even warmth it should be okay. I've never tried any Aiphanes but have seen them growing. In your climate you'll have to keep them indoors, that will be interesting if all germinate and grow well, LOL.

o

hi
Have you tried the various Palm societies.??? According to PACSOA " Very easy temps above 80 very moist.1/ 2 months ." i was always put off by the thorns lol Good luck gary

o

Thanks TropicalBreeze and Gary for the replies ;-)

I have grown about a dozen different Sabal Types from seed to showing nice first costapalmate leaves (I Know, But I'm new at it), a few different cycads but many other tropicals from seed over the past 35 years, mostly playing and wanting to see if I could.

I certainly would never have even tried the Aiphanes due to the spines and my grand children loving to look at what Grandpa is growing, but as they were free, I figured I would share half of them with a good friend who is a Palm and Cycad collecter and give the remaining a shot for my ever growing collection.

If anyone would like to add some info on growing these beasts, that would be great.

Thanks Again

Keith

o

Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!!

Spiny little ones are coming up!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow I will pot up from the zip-loc into 1g's and try and get pictures. Right at two weeks with one day soak.

o

hi
I just noticed some sprouts on what I believe are Ptychosperma elegans . Sown on the 23 Sept.
I'd almost given up. Know it's not supposed to take that long but won't argue with success lol
Congrats on yours !! That is really fast!!! gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here