Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rwallen1961

Zone 5 Coconut Palm Updae

rwallen1961
10 years ago

Well, my little guy survived yet another winter in my basement and is now outside enjoying that nice sunshine.

He's about 20 years old and just keeps trucking along!

Comments (15)

• chachacharlie
    10 years ago

WOW! Simply amazing! Keep it up, it looks great!

• prinbama
    10 years ago

20 years old, that's amazing. That's some serious dedication to a coco. Great Job !

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Do you happen to know the cultivar?? They always say you can't "dwarf" coconuts but here's proof!! I tried for many years and failed gary

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

That looks great. Really healthy. And so small after so many years.

• jimhardy
    10 years ago

Maybe someday..................when it's to big,some nice
    person will drive it way down in Florida and let it go(-:

Great palm-heres to another 20

• miketropic
    10 years ago

Looks wonderful having seen a coco producing nuts yesterday on this vacation makes me wonder how old these big boys here are?

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Jimhardy
    That would be an interesting experiment!! I used standard Bonsai techniques in order to achieve a mature
    coconut at under 8 feet. Had only two results first they died or if returned to the ground resumed "normal" growth
    All were under 5 years not 20 though that would be a real test lol
    Twallen has obviously found the secret which I suspect is the "correct" cultivar not technique. Would have to agree with "Bonsai " people that you can't reall do a palm BUT you certainly can achieve a significant dwarf. gary

• eriktampabay
    10 years ago

What do you mean you can not bonsai Coconuts?

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Awesome pic! I love how you have managed to keep your coconut palm small after all these years. One of my coconut palms is already taller than yours and it's still in the strap leaf phase. As much as I love having big palms around, having the same, healthy and green palm around for 20 years is much nicer!

Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    10 years ago

Here it is in another 20yrs (-:

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    fantastic!!! have you shown these pics on the Bonsai forum?? Would love to hear the comments lol gary

• jimhardy
    10 years ago

Four pretty usual Coconut pics for sure...

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Looks like there might be something to "bonsaing" coconut palms. I feel like maintaining a true bonsai coconut palm like the ones in the last 2 pics would be pretty hard to do, but if I was actually able to keep bonsai plants alive (or lived in a climate where sprouting coconut palms are as common as dandelions here), I would definitely give it a try! They look really cool!
    -Alex

• rickp5000
    10 years ago

rwallen1961,

What do you do with it over the winter in the basement meaning how much light does it get, water, etc. What is the temp down there?

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

I wouldn't mind giving it a try, if I get the time. But I have put coconuts into pots before for people who've never come back to collect them. The coconuts just grow bigger, roots through into the ground, pots splitting, and well .... they generally become a nuisance. I guess you'd have to do a lot of root pruning and general controlling to get it to work properly.