Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradleyo_gw

My trip to Raleigh, lot of pics

bradleyo_gw
10 years ago

Still on the job hunt and relocation dream. I spent the last week in Raleigh with a short visit to Columbia, SC while on several interviews. Hopefully getting closer to moving. While there I couldn't resist the opportunity to visit JC Raulston Arboretum when seeing the sign. All in all, I was pleasantly surprised to see all of the plants there that grow unprotected, you would never know it by driving around Raleigh. I saw 2 trachies there the entire time I was there outside of Raulston. One was a 6-7 foot trachy at a house in Cary, 1 was a 2 foot trachy in a pot at a hotel I interviewed at. I may have been the first person to tour the place in a suit and tie. I didn't get a whole lot of time there, I was on a mission to find a job, so I toured the whole place in about 20 minutes. Between the humidity, the suit and the pace at which I was walking, I was sweating quite profusely!

I also brought down and planted a few things at my buddy's house at which I stayed in Holly Springs. He graciously allowed me to stay with him for 6 days so I brought him down a few extra plants that I had, that certainly won't make it here, plus I won't feel like moving a bunch of plants when I will most certainly be renting for awhile.

Anyways, on to Raulston, definitely worth a visit, I will definitely take my time there next time.

I believe this is a Birmingham

I don't know what this is but while it looks like rostrata, it was HUGE! Much larger than the rostratas they had there, the pic doesn't do it justice.

Palmetto

5 trachy clump

No idea what the plant on the right is?

Mexicana

On the way back from Columbia to Raleigh, I just had to stop!

This is what I planted at my buddy's, I don't remember genus and species, but I believe it's a holly fern?

{{gwi:1139374}}

I honestly don't remember, I though I put an alocasia in this pot, but apparently a colocasia.

{{gwi:1139375}}

Trachy, can't wait to grow gardenias when I move!

{{gwi:1139377}}

{{gwi:1139379}}

I also can't wait to have my rosemary look like this in a couple of years!

OT: I was here 3 times throughout my stay. I'm a big foodie and love farmers's markets. My wife made a comment that it is our next supermarket. This Farmer's Market at NC State is the best I've ever been to. This is only a small portion of what is available under the NC grown only section. I bet there were also at least 20 plant vendors, fish market, pork stores, and all sorts of other stuff.

Comments (9)

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Awesome pics from a very nice climate! It definitely would be nice for you to move down there, I'm sure there are a lot more plants you'll be able to grow there!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: My Plant Blog!

• bradleyo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Alex. It would be nice to grow a lot of the plants I struggle with here, with ease there!

• chadec
    10 years ago

Nice pics, thats one place I would like to visit. Looks like you have 2 agaves in bloom in pic 7. A. gentryi on the left and A. bracteosa on the right.

• bradleyo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Where in NC are you chadec? If you're ever in Raleigh, you should definitely go, even if just for 1/2 hour. It's free! It's part of NC St.

• chadec
    10 years ago

I am just north of Winston Salem. I go to PDN every year but never JCs. I do plan on checking it out.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

"It would be nice to grow a lot of the plants I struggle with here, with ease there!"

I bet within no time you'd be growing "on the edge" again. We all do it. It's Human Nature, or should I say Gardener's Nature, LOL.

• bradleyo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No doubt tropic! Probably try for a washie, jub, mule, supposedly non-hardy citrus. But having gardenias, brugs, ee's, camellias, and hardy palms as foundation staples would be quite nice!

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    10 years ago

Next time you are in Raleigh, visit Pullen Park. There are (or were anyway) quite a few very tall Windmill palms there last time I was there but that was also about 8 years ago. If you google "pullen park palm trees" a good number of photos of them come up. When I was there there was also TONS of seedling windmills growing all over the place as well. So many people grow this palm from the mid Atlantic states, southward it would not shock me to see them start to naturalise in some areas especially from South Eastern Virginia southward. Maybe even in the DE/MD/NJ coastal areas as well. Nice pics! Thank you for sharing!

• Central_Cali369
    10 years ago

The rosemary will grow extremely fast. At least it does for us here in California. I have to constantly trim mine up to keep it within a 5x5 space, and to keep it at eye level so that it doesn't get too tall.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor