Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jfacendola

Rhapis x Rhapidophyllum ???

jfacendola
10 years ago

My potted lady palm ( R. excelsa) just put out a female inflorescence. As I have no other Rhapis growing to pollenate it, I thought about just cutting it off. My needles (Rhapidophyllum) are currently covered in both male and female inflorescences. After a bit of research I learned that there is evidence that Rhapis and Rhapidophyllum may be taxonomic sister groups, and are at least in the same subtribe. This means that they could potentially hybridize. I am going to go home this afternoon and use a paintbrush to move some pollen from the needle palm, to each one of the lady palm flowers. Any ideas, tips, thoughts?

Comments (10)

• bradleyo_gw
    10 years ago

It would be super cool if you could be successful and I would love to get my hand on some seed, but I'm somewhat skeptical.

• miketropic
    10 years ago

I am picturing a tall skinny trunk..covered in 3 inch needles with 4 fronts on top...and slower than a 3 legged turtle..if you get seeds sign me up!

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

I say go for it! Don't hold your breath though. But you've nothing to lose.

• jfacendola
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I pretty much have the same mental image of a fatter spiny clump of chunky but skinny trunked sparsely leafed palms. I fully expect failure, and if for some reason I do get a seed, it will probably take about a year to germinate.... The female flowers don't quite look open and ready to take pollen yet, but I am hoping tomorrow morning will be go time.

• plantlover13
    10 years ago

Did you pollinate them yet?

• jfacendola
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have been giving them a good dose of pollen daily. It looks like the flowers are slowly opening one at a time from the tip to the base of the inflorescence, and I don't know what the time frame is when they are receptive. I figured I should err on the side of caution and continue to toss pollen on them as much as possible. Soon I will run out of fresh needle palm pollen, so I have put some in the freezer just in case. If I get a seed from this I will be amazed.

• jfacendola
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have been giving them a good dose of pollen daily. It looks like the flowers are slowly opening one at a time from the tip to the base of the inflorescence, and I don't know what the time frame is when they are receptive. I figured I should err on the side of caution and continue to toss pollen on them as much as possible. Soon I will run out of fresh needle palm pollen, so I have put some in the freezer just in case. If I get a seed from this I will be amazed.

• jfacendola
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No surprise, but no seeds resulting from this attempt. It looked like something was trying to happen, but no fruits really developed. Just last week all of what looked like it may have pollenated yellowed and fell off. They did hold on to the plant for 2 months. I wonder if the embryos don't have room to properly form in the tiny Rhapis seed. In an x butiagrus cross, the female is the pindo which has much larger seeds than the queen. Hmmm.....

• jfacendola
    Original Author
    10 years ago

duplicate post removed

This post was edited by jfacendola on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 9:42

• plantlover13
    10 years ago

Too bad, it would have been cool. Try again next time, if there ever is one?