Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimhardy_gw

Palms & Cactus

jimhardy
10 years ago

Start off with the Cactus.

Claret cup-

these blooms have rubbery petals that last maybe a week-even with some rain!

First time this one has flowered-Opuntia "Claude Arno"

Feather like petals on this Horse-crippler cactus...

Cereus Peruvianus launching 3 again this year-including the lead.
Last year it grew 4' of new branches,the new growth was tender
and damaged by lower 20s last fall.

Red hot pokers sending up the pokers....I do believe they get bigger every year.

Manfreda maculosa sending up flower stalks....

One of my favorite Agave...Mediopicta Alba.

Biggest bloom I have seen so far on these Hesperaloe Parvaflora.

Y.Gloriosa

Some palms..............

Licuala Grandis & Ramsayi

T.Martianus

Little Waggie recovering from spear-pull

WagxFort recovering from spear-pull and looking a little tattered from being stuffed in to small in a box over winter.

Baby Takil recovering from its second year of spear-pull/

T.Princeps

Thanks for looking!

Comments (7)

• bradleyo_gw
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I bet you never expected those agaves to get that big when you first planted them. Unbelievable! They're starting to take over the bed. And c'mon Jim, Licualas? Don't tell me you're going to put those in the ground. I don't remember seeing those before. I bet those cost a pretty penny. Where'd you get them? Everything else looks great.

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't think the Licuala would like it here at all-LOL

I did think The Agave would get that big(provided they lived)but not that fast!
    The A.Havardiana in right around 30" across!

I was looking at the Parryi and it has put out 7 new leaves already,once they get a little size they are really pretty fast.

I do wish the bed was at least twice as big though so you can check each plant out individually-anyone of them is a good specimen plant.

Some sacrifices gotta be made in Iowa though(-:

I got both Licuala off e-bay,I paid $35 for the Ramsayi and $40 for the Grandis shipped,the thing that surprised me was they each grew a leaf over the winter and are both opening new ones now...I assumed I would be nursing them to spring with one leaf left if I was lucky!

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

If you keep the warmth up to the Licualas they'll go all year. While they're small they don't need a lot of light, within reason. Too dark and they stay small. A couple of months back I bought 3 ramsayi. They were labelled lauterbachii but they (nursery owners) claimed the labelling was wrong when I said I only wanted ramsayi. I'm hoping the labelling really was wrong. Fairly slow growers, but really beautiful palms.

Rather amazing, but your T.Princeps looks exactly like my Livistona rigida, even the size.

And your WagxFort looks a bit like my Livistona benthami, it's leaflets flop over like that. They're also called Fountain Palms because as the plants get larger the leaflets give the appearance of a cascading fountain.

• xerophyte NYC
    10 years ago

Fantastic. Are these in the front or back of your house? What do your neighbors think of it? I see an Encephalartos and I believe a Dioon - how are they doing?

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the front of the house.

I think most of them really like it but I bet few to none have looked very closely...thats when the fun starts(-:maybe 30 palms and 30 cactus and many other things that should not be there-I love the palms but if I had any idea the cacti would grow so fast I may have made the whole middle section a cactus bed because one day soon it will get crowded.

I have an D.Edule'"Palma Soma",C.revoluta,C.Taitungensis and E.Princeps out there...the CT and DE dried out a little this winter but are producing new fronds,the Sago was stored in the basement like a banana,it will look better after it flushes.....you know I took care of that E.Princeps though (-:

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Those cacti really are growing fast for you. I remember your pics a few years ago showed more rocks than cacti in that bed and now you can definitely see a lot more cacti and succulents than rocks. Whoever thinks you cant have a lush xeriscape or mix it in with palms and tropicals definitely has not seen your yard!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• statenislandpalm7a
    10 years ago

The cactus flowers are amazing and all your palm look healthy.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting