Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimhardy_gw

Corpse lily

jimhardy
11 years ago

Starting to move now-

6-6-12

About a foot and a half-I like plants that seem to have already formed and just need to expand (-:

In case you missed it(in a previous post)-they look like this when they flower.

Click for weather forecast

Comments (16)

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Wow, its a really cool looking plant! I dont really know too much about them so I'm looking forward to seeing updates about yours. Keep us updated!
    -Alex

• statenislandpalm7a
    11 years ago

Those grow fast. Cant wait to see it flower.

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

My neighbors had one of those last year. They don't bloom for very long though.

I wish someone could tell me the secret to calla lillies. Will they flower again this summer or is it a one-and-done plant?

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    They certainly are a fantastic plant except they live up to their name !! They smell like rotten flesh or in my opinion worse . They attract flies by the hundreds lol
    Fortuneately the flower is short lived.
    I MUCH prefer to go see them in bot gardens lol gary

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will have a party and invite all the stinkers I know when it blooms-

I think the foliage is really interesting.

Grew at least a half a foot last night!

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Looks like Amorphophallus konjac, they're one of the smellier ones. I have 8 but still small. At the appropriate time they'll be judicially positioned to cause the least disturbance to the surrounds.

I also have another 7 species of Amorphophallus plus an also stinky Dracontium. Big problems if they all start flowering at once, LOL.

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yea,that would be a stinkfest.

Here it is this morning...at the rate it's growing
    it will be fully leafed out tomorrow!

Last night was still in the 80s at 10pm,man,the plants grow fast in that!

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

They really love the heat! Im sure your neighbors will hate you when that thing is in bloom, haha!
    Today got to 101F so far here and everything looks like it's taking it well so far.
    -Alex

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

They do really rocket along. But they use up the tuber doing that. The leaf's job then is to feed a new tuber which produces a new plant the following year.

You've got some nice plants in that same bed. Looks like a Zebra (variegated) Ginger, a couple of Cyathea cooperi (treeferns), Alocasia 'Poly', another Alocasia perhaps macrorrhizos. Not sure the small palms but look like fan palms of some sort. Is that a Spathiphyllum near the Alocasia 'Poly'? Couple others I can't quite work out. A good collection.

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks

The only T.fern that survived the blown forecast last fall
    (forecast 27F actual 18F)was the D.Antarctica-although technically
    the Cooperii are stil alive....to bad,they would have had 6-7' fronds this year!

Not sure which plant your referring too but you have good eyes!

Pics from this morning-

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

That's starting to look really sweet. I don't think me growing one would go over well here, but I've always wanted one. Thought about it once or twice when ordering from PDN. Are those new this year, don't remember those. Where did you get?

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

The Cyathea cooperi can be a bit touchy. Don't like it too cold, and don't even like it too hot. Dicksonia antarctica is better in that respect, although it can look fairly ratty when it warms up a bit.

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got the 4 bulbs on e-bay,they were about the size of a big tomato.

All the T.ferns were fine until it got so much colder than predicted!

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

That's a good size of tuber to start with. If you feed those up well during the season, especially with more of phosphorus and potassium late in the season, you should get flowers next year. Of course, you might regret it when the flowers open, LOL.

• denninmi
    11 years ago

"I wish someone could tell me the secret to calla lillies. Will they flower again this summer or is it a one-and-done plant?"

Depends on the species. The white Z. aethiopica, the large white calla lily with plain green foliage, will continue to grow and bloom for about 4-5 months as long as it gets abundant moisture and fertilizer -- it grows as a swamp/marsh plant in its native habitat. At the greenhouse/garden center where I used to work, they raised these every year, and they would be in bloom from basically about Feb through June/July, then shut down for the summer heat.

The colored callas or dwarf callas, the ones that come in yellow, pink, purple, orange, white, or combinations thereof, and generally have spotted foliage, are not swamp plants and they don't repeat bloom, just come up and flower from pre-set buds developed the prior season. They basically have about a 2-3 week bloom time. Then after that, they just grow foliage and work on ripening their seeds.

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The bulbs-5-17-12

Heres a few more pics from this morning June 23,2012

These must be from Venus or something because they are so crazy looking
    almost a snake/eel like pattern on the stem and branches.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH