Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyandy_gw

Coconut Picture and more to follow

andyandy
11 years ago

Took some shots last night, they were basking in the 94 degree heat, sorry I'm not sophistigated enough to put them all in one p

osting

Comments (19)

• us_marine
    11 years ago

Nice coco! :) Its getting a nice thick trunk. How tall is it? Can't wait for mine to finally get that big.

Good luck :)

- US_Marine

• andyandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

US marine-
    Thank you, the tallest frond is a little over my head, of course that is aided by the pot and milk crate (maybe 5-5.5 feet from soil to top of frond, I'm 6 2). i keep it in the crate because the wind would keep blowing it over, that's why you see some large stones on the soil of a number of my potted palms.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Wow, it looks great! How old is it? Im sure my coconut palms will be liking this heat also. It got up to 100F so far today and tomorrow is supposed to be warmer!
    -Alex

• andyandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alex-
    Thank you
    I had the coconut shipped from Hawaii in May of 2008. it already had some fronds starting to split. I'm guessing it spouted in 2007 so maybe 5 years old. it started to push up a new spear late last week and it really shot up yesterday, currently 92 out so the palms are loving it

• us_marine
    11 years ago

Thats pretty tall!

What type of soil you use? I used to do the same when my coco's kept blowing over. The sand I used fixed that problem but its too heavy and breaks containers. Not good for a container plant that needs to be moved often.I planted my tall in a mix of soils that is much much lighter. But the palm is still too small to tell if the soil has enough weight to keep it from blowing over. My dwarf is starting to lean. This is going to be interesting in the near future. I might have to plant in the ground to keep it from blowing over.

I am sure they will love 100f's! :) It has already hit that many times here and mine seem to love it. I see alot more noticable growth on those days. Although I try to shade my tree from the hottest part of the day when it gets that hot. I dont think full sun in a dry climate is good but they seem to like a little shade at least at some point during the day. I dont know how they do in same situation in humid climates. Definately let me know how it goes :) From experience I seen mine take up to 114f in full sun.

Btw, all your palms and other plants look nice as well :)

- US_Marine

• andyandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

for themost part it is just miracle grow potting mix, it is verly well draining and in the winther when i treat it like a cactus it is really light, almost no weight to it. with this heat though I keep it well watered.

• statenislandpalm7a
    11 years ago

Looks great

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Looks good. That's a nice healthy green colour in the fronds. Like a lot of tropicals, they take almost any heat provided humidity is high, but dry heat knocks them around.

• andyandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tuesday was a lot more humid then yesterday, I think they are fine in any dry heat in the 90s as long as they get enough water. I would imagine they would struggle in a place like Vegas or Phoenix when it hits 110.Our temperature roller coaster is about to continue. 90s the plast three days with lows in the mid 70s but Monday the HIGH is supposed to be 73.

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

I miss having a potted coconut. I used to travel to the Indo-Pacific and carried home a few individual sprouted coconuts. Easy when you fly a cargo plane and they fit so beautifully inside a flight helmet bag. They loved my big, sunny, south facing floor to ceiling windows in my DC-area condo. It was incredibly warm and sunny even on coldest winter days. They loved the balcony in the hot, humid DC summers. They'd get to a certain right (close to ceiling) and begin to fail.

When one would die, I'd pick up a new sprouting coconut on my next trip. I knew exactly where to find them on one military base in the Indian Ocean. Piles of coconuts were strewn under the mature trees. Baby palms were everywhere. They would've Bern easy to dig up, if I lived in a place like that. I was always on a scavenger hunt for the smallest coconut with a very small sprout and no root, so they could be easily transported home in the helmet bag, which could take a week with stops. They are self contained and don't really need water for a while either. I never had to worry about it getting too hot in the plane for it, and if it was winter, I'd take it to my room in the lined bag.

My last one didn't survive the January move to my Delaware beach house. I had to cut off a few big fronds to fit in my small SUV, and had it in the house with heat turned down, before I was in the house full-time. No replacements now that I'm retired and not traveling like that. Besides my 19th century house isn't as warm and sunny in the winter. But with all the windmills and bananas lining my porch, I'm achieving that Key West look without big potted palms that I have to haul in every year.

• us_marine
    11 years ago

Yeah in a dry hot climate you need to water pretty much every day. But I am not so sure that they struggle too much when watered right. Mine doesn't look that bad I don't think. I hope it not stressed.

I have seen pics and read about some growing somewhere in the middle east. Although I have no clue how hot it gets there. Vegas gets too cold, frost every year and not enough winter heat (kinda the same problem my area has) but Phoenix is much warmer. Doesn't always freeze but it still gets killer freezes every now and then. I havn't heard of anyone successfully growing a coconut palm there though. I do know royals and few other tropical palms can grow very well there.

- US_Marine

• andyandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm sure the ones that are in the middle east are near the water. I looked up what the highest recored dew point was and it was in Saudia Arabia near the red sea.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

The Middle East is a big area so there's bound to be a few suitable habitats for them. Besides, with the amount of petro-dollars they have they can put in the best climate modifications money can buy.

Heat and a bit dry (within reason) won't stop coconuts growing, but it can make them look quite 'ratty'. A lot of mine are too much on the dry side and could look a lot better. Just a matter of the time needed to set them up right.

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

Andy- Great looking potted Coco! You continue to prove that coconuts can do well indoors during the winter. I'm surprised how big it has grown so far in Michigan. And not sure if the other members know, but Michigan gets very humid during the summer, so I'm sure our humidity helps it to look so good.

• us_marine
    11 years ago

What part of the US are you from and how often you water?
    It could just be you arn't watering enough and if you are also in a dry climate low humidity will just make it worse.

- US_Marine

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Which breeze did you mean, islandbreeze or tropicbreeze?

• andyandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I live in Livonia MI,about 5 miles west of Detroit. How often I water depends on the temperature. If its well into the 80s or 90s and I know it will only fall into the mid 60s or warmer at night I will water every day. In many tropical areas it rains at some point every day. if it's in the 70s and falling into the 50s I'll water every few days, in the winter I treat it like a cactus.

• us_marine
    11 years ago

The question was meant for tropicalbreeze. Sorry I forgot to mention who it was for. I thought maybe I could help out or at least try. But yeah thats pretty much the same that I do.

- US_Marine

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

There's a few breezes around (not a bad thing, I say). I'm not in the US, US_Marine. It is a matter of not enough water during the dry part of the year. I had an irrigation line running out to a number of them but pulled it out while rearranging things. Thought they were big enough to look after themselves through the dry. But it's obvious now it wasn't my best idea. I've restored part of the irrigation supply but it really needs more. I mean, they get by but would look a lot better with more water at the right time.

So the dry time of year is very dry, just zero rainfall. But when we do get to the wet part, boy is it wet!