Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trishmick

Since we're posting pics

trishmick
13 years ago

Here are just a few. Seems we in the North love this forum in particular, and photos in general...palms or not. Maybe because warm sunny weather is so precious. The higher in latitude you travel, the smaller the window to grow most things. I must say, so far, this has been a banner year for plantings around here.

From left to right: very full fig tree, windmill palm that went entirely unprotected this past Winter, enduring 3 viscious snowstorms, prickly pear cactus down and to the right with the last of its blooms, and cut basjoo responding nicely.

Blooming aztec gold plumeria

{{gwi:1139859}}

Calamondin orange blooming as well. Great fragrance from orange blossoms.

{{gwi:1139860}}

Blueberries ready for picking. We get nice ones here.

{{gwi:1139861}}

Niagara grapes bunching up. Finally getting some from this vine.

And best of all...a basjoo that I dug up, potted, and brought inside for the Winter...transplanted back outside in March.......flowering. This would be a first for me with these.

{{gwi:1139864}}

Yeah, it's been a good growing season thus far. And this dad is gonna enjoy it today...despite my 5 yr. old cutting in half one of my valued pepper plants, a congo yellow, with a wiffle ball bat. And my tomatoes, always a good crop here just minutes from the beach thanks to the sandy soil, are massive and laden with fruit already. Psyched...

Comments (7)

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Very nice pics. Your windmill palm looks good as always and that fig is getting HUGE! It must be getting close to 20 feet tall. Youir basjoo clump is looking great. I cant wait until the day I get one of my banana plants to set fruit (even if its not an edible one). The grapes look great and so do the orange blooms. My navel orange always blooms but the blooms drop and it never fruits :( Maybe this summer will be the lucky year for it. I think your yard could be mistaken for one in Italy! All you need is a century old olive tree!

Nice pics! Good luck!
    -Alex

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Happy Father's Day!!!

Everything looks great!! Love all of the blooms...especially the Aztec Gold!! I did have a inflo on mine earlier, but a strong storms came through several weeks ago and it broke in half...so I was quite bummed as well!!! I wish I could blame it on my kids, but they weren't home and really it was my fault for trying to mother hen my plants!! That makes it even worse!!

Enjoy the heat!!! And of course the DAY!!!

Take care everyone,

Laura in VB

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

Yea,everything looks great!
    Congrats on your Basjoo flowering,that's really great to see.

This has been the warmest wettest spring I can remember,usually it is cool if it's this rainy early.

Well above avg temps here with 18+" rain since May 9 and always more on the way!

• brooklyngreg
    13 years ago

Really complete looking garden - fruiting fig, veggies and palms. You must be Italian.. lol. I am half Italian.

Please post the flower when the basoo blooms. Usually a protected fig tree with small pruple figs survives our winters well. I notice the older it is the more hardy. Being protected by the house on one side really helps it to survive a bad winter. Last winter may have had bad snow but the temps were OK for zone 7 fig trees to survive. I find repeated or severe ice storms are real fig killers - but only to the roots. They come back in zone 7.

My fig and tracky palm are crowding each other as well. I keep trimming that side of the fig.

• franktank232
    13 years ago

Very nice plumeria. I hope to get mine to flower someday.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I notice that people here arent really protecting there figs anymore and they are getting large. One in the neighborhood was in an exposed spot and I realized that it did suffer a bit of damage a few years ago (after a winter low of 5F), but it has grown out of it now. They should tolerate the average zone 7 winter well and the extremely cold ones they will require protection from. But they have survived record low temps so they will probably survive pretty much anything a zone 7 can throw at it but dieback is likely below 5F

• kinzyjr {Lakeland, FL - USDA: 9b, Record: 20F}
    13 years ago

Awesome windmill palm. I just went down the road to McD's and they replaced all their "zone 11" tropicals with Windmill palms after our record breaking cold this year. Yours looks every bit as good as the ones there.