Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimhardy_gw

Storm and a gift

jimhardy
11 years ago

Sat in my "favorite" spot and watched the Castor beans

get ready to snap under the 50-60mph wind gusts...

just like the Thai giant did last year around this time.

They didn't snap but something else did -with a little help!

I have climbed this tree every spring(but this one)to try and remove a limb that blocks 5 hrs of sunlight.

Just to big a limb,to small a ladder or to small a chainsaw-take your pic-not to mention it possibly falling on the pine tree near it!

Storm took care of all of it-

I don't think the wind or lightning by thenselves

would have done it-the lightning hit it as the winds were gusting and it went down quitely....

unless you are a pine tree.

Smashed pine tree

Pine was snapped above the ground and still has a few surviving branches-

You can see the burnt tip of the branch-I was about 60' away-watching on the porch(shocked)

I was just thiking that I really do need to get to that branch this year-as I added up the max sunlight for any spot in the front yard....

6 hrs was it-this will add 4-5 hrs....looking east...

The east bed with the T.ferns will get double the light as half the canopy is gone.

You can see the sun already hitting the Y.Gloriosa before 8am-it used to be almost noon!

Heres what the Castors etc looked like after the winds backed off-this was a non linear event with the winds gusting repeatedly over 50/60mph

instead of at the lead edge like/of a bow segment.

This is what they looked like AFTER the wind!

I spent about an hour last night bracing and bending them back into shape...they will more than live to fight another day!.....looks like Wens(dead)

Click for weather forecast

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor