Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trishmick

Local palms, this year

trishmick
11 years ago

Seems more homeowners are getting into the palm planting mix 'round here...at least, for the Summer. Series of pics running from yards heading from the north part of town to the south. All are either on Ocean Ave. (i.e. the beach) or steps away.

Finally, someone is opting for a windmill. We'll see how they treat it over the course of the remaining year. Home 2 doors down just sold for over 2 mil, so all of these folks can afford to splurge.

House near where I grew up. Last year they had large Christmas palms in this spot I believe.

These guys are digging this one up every year and replanting. Been the same for awhile now. Kudos for the effort.

And the house I always post. Little different this year out front. Queens instead of coconuts, otherwise, pretty similar year in and year out.

Another home a few doors down from these guys planted about an 8ft. tall Christmas palm this year. Normally, they do Pygmy Dates. Yeah, Summer has arrived at the Shore, along with the crowds. On a different note, seeds I collected in South Florida back in late March are now sprouting. Kumquats and Christmas. Waiting on orange. Mother-in-law coming up next week with my Bottle palm and a successful cutting from a hibiscus she has at the corner of her lanai. Unusual peach color. I finally got one to root after a few years of failures...

Comments (10)

• californiamike
    11 years ago

Nice pis, where is that Belmar? I go to Long Branch a lot and they have palms all over the beach....right by Pier Village, very nice, feels like you are in florida or california.

• RichardC7
    11 years ago

Awesome Pics! if i may ask, what do they do with the palms in the winter?!

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

I actually like the queens better than the coconuts at that house anyway. Do they let the washingtonias at that house die every year and replant or are those the same from last year?

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Great pics! Glad to see a trachy in the mix but the tropical palms look great also!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• trishmick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Californiamike...this is indeed, Belmar. Unlike Pier Village, the town would never allow palms on the beach.

Islandbreeze...the guy must get the exact same size trees every year because the last set died off this past Winter, even though it was unusually mild. We had about a week's worth of frigid temps overnight that did them in. I too prefer the Queens out front.

RichardC7...he just lets them die off each year. Others around seem to dig theirs up. Pretty sure the aforementioned Pier Village, where there are dozens of various palm species, removes everything before the cold weather hits.

• denninmi
    11 years ago

I so want to trim the dying foliage from those --they would look so much better, at least to my eye. I know that its perfectly normal for many species, especially Washingtonia, to have the skirt of dead foliage below the canopy, and that has to start somewhere, but after spending years in the garden center/florist's, we never would have installed something at a customer's jobsite or sent out an order with that much dead or damaged foliage on it.

I really, really want to come over with the pole pruners and take care of those palms, but it's about a what, 700 mile drive, and it might not be appreciated if I did.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

It's amazing the trouble some people go to. And the thought of using palms like that as annuals is a bit strange. I'd feel a bit guilty putting plants like that in knowing that their life expectancy is going to be vastly shorter than normal. A variation I saw on that in the north of Germany quite a few years back was plastic palms in pots along the beach. But somehow it just didn't come together very well. And that the time the westher was freezing cold and I was the only one on the beach.

• denninmi
    11 years ago

I suspect most of them are installed by a professional interiorscape or landscape company that has no intent of just letting them die, but has facilities to overwinter them. However, it certainly does happen, there have been various reports right here of palm installations allowed to perish during a winter the species just wasn't prepared to survive.

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

More people to annual (tropical) palms rather than hardy palms. Many of the hotels, mini golf, surf shops, restaurants plant tropical plans because it gives infant tropical feel to lure in the tourists for short summer season. They're bigger, cheaper and more readily available than hardy palms. They die every December. Some hang on til January and are brown the rest of the winter for locals to look at and conclude: palms don't survive here.

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

More people to annual (tropical) palms rather than hardy palms. Many of the hotels, mini golf, surf shops, restaurants plant tropical plans because it gives infant tropical feel to lure in the tourists for short summer season. They're bigger, cheaper and more readily available than hardy palms. They die every December. Some hang on til January and are brown the rest of the winter for locals to look at and conclude: palms don't survive here.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner