Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mutiny_gw

Windmill palm in zone 6

mutiny
13 years ago

Hello,

This multi trunk palm was purchased from a seller in Moultrie, GA. Here is a photo taken last year in June. I received and planted this palm in early Spring of 2009.

These photos show how I protected it this past Winter.

1" PVC Pipes and Connectors

1 - 4 mil. Plastic Sheeting (10'x25')

Bungy Cords (Lots)

2 - Flood Lights (Color Optional)

Ground Stakes

1 - 4'x4' Piece of Plywood (Top)

I folded and stapled the sheet nice and tight.

These are photos taken this Spring.

Now to learn how to care for this baby. We love it so much, I'm thinking of buying another for our Pirate theme backyard.

Comments (19)

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

Great job!

You have a beautiful yard matey!

• knotz
    13 years ago

Love the Pirates!!!...Oh, the palm looks great too :)

• mutiny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for looking.... Please go to youtube and check out my videos. Type in "dolphconn" and enjoy!

Thanks again.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I think it really fits the pirate theme yard well. I definitely think you should plant some more. And I think that these are one of the cases where a windmill palm looks better with the fiber on the trunk than with it shaved off.

Beautiful palm and very nicely themed yard too! Good luck!
    -Alex

• statenislandpalm7a
    13 years ago

Nice palm and welcome to the forum

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

LOVE IT!!!

Laura in VB

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I just realized (from your zip code) that you live in CT. Very impressive yard. I assumed you lived in Georgia!

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

Magnolia looks nice too.

Do you have a pirate flag in your yard too?

I seem to remember this yard from somewhere....

possibly another forum-

• mutiny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again for comments.

Yes, we do live in Stamford, CT.

No, never lived in Georgia, just purchased palm from their web site.

Yes, I have pirate flags all over my yard. Must have seen my videos on youtube.com

Sorry, I don't know how to respond to individual questions.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

You should buy some spanish moss and hang it on things for the summer months. They would make a nice "pirate theme look". You can get some at a good price on ebay. I tried some in my zone 7 last winter and most of it made it. I dont think it would make it in a zone 6 (or even well in a zone 7 during the average winter) so if you have an unheated garage it will do well in there with an occasional dip in a bowl of water (thats what I did with mine!). They dont like too much water in the winter and they dont seem to do too well indoors during the winter because of the heated air.

Good luck!
    -Alex

Good luck!

• brooklyngreg
    13 years ago

I agree, buy another since you know how to winterize them properly and get so much enjoyment from it:)

I like the Spamish moss idea too. You can buy it cheap on ebay. TZ7 did:) If you decide to buy spanish moss - place it in the palm structure it to winterize it too. They die in temps below 15 and icy weather.

• tnwindmill
    13 years ago

Very nice tree. Would you mind telling me the name of the nursery you got it from? I had a similar enclosure for some of my windmills. The only problem I had was we had lots of gusty storms. My plastic got shredded a number of times, and took a lot of work to keep it together all winter. I hope this winter will let up. Thanks for posting the pics.

• mutiny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I purchased it from "willisorchards.com"

• cindip1
    13 years ago

NEED HELP!!! we have had windmill palm for about 4 yrs now. we went on vacation for 3 weeks .....when we got back it had brown dead fronds on it. i don't think the girl took it out once while we were gone so it had no sun. now it has a white growth coming out of the trunk.... what is it? and what can i do to make my palm live and grow again??????

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

White growth coming out of the TRUNK sounds like it could be flowers! How tall is it? If its a mature tree than that could be some blooms coming out of the trunk. If you can post a pic that would really help! Also if the fronds on top are still green or the emerging spear is still green, it should be fine. If you have an doubts pull the center spear and if it pulls out than it has rot and is pretty much dead. If it stays firm than its probably alive.
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• tropicpalms
    13 years ago

very nice palm super over wintering job!!! back yard looks amazing! how large or how many years have you had that chusan? i think willisorchard is in Virginia? ill look for one if i can get it cheaper here and send it to u im sure shipping will be a lot! but anyways really great job! -Justin in VB

• mnpalms
    13 years ago

Awesome windmill, great looking yard! Great job on the protection also.

Isn't Willis Orchard part of/same as Ty-Ty?....

• tropicpalms
    13 years ago

yes my bad you are right mnpalms not in va

• stlucy
    12 years ago

Mutiny,

Looks like a great winter protection. Do you have trouble burning leaves if they are against the plastic on a sunny day? This obviously doesn't come apart easily. How do you keep it from overheating on warm days? I have just gone through my first winter with a windmill palm in the ground and am looking for a better way to protect it without burning it and having to wrap and unwrap it every other day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.