Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of palm is this and how can I most easily eradicate it?

Posted by kelletim 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 11:35

I really can't stand this thing, it takes up a huge amount of space that would be better purposed for flowers or other shrubs. Plus, it is ugly. What's the easiest way to kill this thing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of palm is this and how can I most easily eradicate

It appears to me to be 2 or 3 Trachycarpus. Maybe T.princeps?...choice palms. They had to be have bought by a collector. Not palms you find at HD or Walmart.
If you want to kill them..cut the heads off. Thats all it takes. Or,dig them out and sell them. I'm sure palm people would be interested.

This post was edited by stanofh on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 20:09

o

Maybe Chinese Fan Palm (Llivistona chinensis)?

o

Wow, I think it's lovely! Beautiful palm in the wrong spot. If it were mine I'd try to transplant it to a more suitable location and make it a specimen plant! Okay, I live in Illinois and have huge envy for tropical plants!

o

It does look like a Livistona. People would be prepared to buy a palm like that, but its position that close to the tree could present problems with transplanting. Cutting the top out would end its life.

o

Are you all sure this isn't just a saw palmetto? That's what it looks like to me ...

o

Definitely not a Serenoa species... agree most likely Livistona chinensis

o

Put is up free on craigslist?

o

Definitely a Livistona Chinensis. They are not clumping palms so if you saw it off at the ground level it won't come back. Palms cannot survive if they are cut below there growing point since unlike other plants, palms only have one growing point. The livistona looks beautiful, but I agree that it is not in a perfect spot.
Good luck!
-Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here