Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josh_palm_crazy

My New Place Before and After

josh_palm_crazy
11 years ago

Hi everybody. Long time no see. I finally have the garden at my new place in Waynesboro PA picture worthy. We moved in October 21st. Here's a bunch of before and after shots. It's still a work in progress and lacks the variety of previous years. Lots of pics. Here we go.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Here's the front of the house. I'm hesitant to plant much out front because I had 2 bananas ripped out the day after I planted them.

Before

After

Comments (18)

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Your yard looks awesome already! Looks like you had a lot of work to do this year, but its all worth it. Im looking forward to seeing how everything fills out as summer progresses! What types of bananas do you have in your yard? Im definitely seen Ensete, and possibly some orinoccos and ice creams?
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

So sorry about the quadruple post. That has never happened to me before, I only hit sumbit once! Never even refreshed the page!
    -Alex

• josh_palm_crazy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Alex. I only have the Red Abbys, Cavendish, one Musa basjoo and all of the big ones are called Misi Luki. I'll post better photos soon. I just wanted to get the before and after effect with this post.

Jay

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

Did I understand correctly that you have plants stolen out of your soil?
    That's horrible!

You've been a busy little beaver back there- how much of that will you have to dig and overwinter indoors?

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

Fantastic, looks great Josh, Can't wait to see what it looks like in September.

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

Welcome back! It's good to see you back on this board. You definitely got the point across with your plantings that you have a tropical yard. Looks great. Very nice job.

• statenislandpalm7a
    11 years ago

Looks great. You should turn the front of your house into a desert bed so no pulls anything out.

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

What type of trachy is that next to the step in your back yard? Looks like it has a nice trunk on it. How did it defoliate?

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Wow, cant believe that you got 2 banana plants stolen in the front of your house. I agree, plant some yuccas and cacti! No one will mess with those!
    -Alex

• josh_palm_crazy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys. They weren't actually stolen. One had a leaf ripped off and the other was grabbed, snapped and uprooted. We live in a po-dunk little town in the butthole of Pennsyltucky USA. Anything different offends the locals round here. They figured they'd show me for bringing my stupid newfangled Florida plants to town! Here's what they did.

I figured I would make the front a desert bed after they broke them so I immediately planted my hardy cactus there.

islandbreeze - It's a standard trachy. It just didn't like the move to well. It's making its way back though. At least the spear never pulled. I'll protect the crap out of it this winter.

Jay

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Everything looks great Josh-looks like you have
    plenty of room for everything you would want to grow!

Nice to see you back....

BTW

I watched in horror as the little neighbor boy distroyed
    almost every plant next store with a stick-he swung at
    the Rose Mallow,he swung at the EE's,etc,etc,etc.....

everything was leveled.

I would be in jail if he made it to my yard. 0:

Click for weather forecast

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

Isn't every town here outside of the metro areas a "po-dunk little town in the butthole of Pennsyltucky USA?" JK! My wife alternatively but affectionately calls it West Pennsylginia. She also says she would love to live in West Virginia as long as she didn't have to admit to people that she lives in West Virginia!

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

Hey I also noticed that you had no palms. How did that trachy and other stuff you had in Chambersburg fare?

• josh_palm_crazy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Brad. The photo with the 2 chairs above has palms in it! :) I have 4 Trachys total. The one from Cburg is finally starting to recover. It didn't like being dug up and on my sun porch too well. Here's some better photos of the palms.

Joey with the trachys

Lowes (blue pot) trachy

Trachy from Chambersburg. Lower left. Starting to recover.

Some other plants

Hardy Chicago Fig

Tiny little figs too!

My only basjoo

Poncirus trifoliata grown from seed!

• statenislandpalm7a
    11 years ago

Nice pics. I have a poncirus also grown from seed but its not nearly as tall.

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

That's sad that they tried to uproot or damage your plants. If they only knew how your yard would look now...Let's see them try to rip out those cacti LOL. If you get anywhere near my prickly pear, you get those itchy red hairlike thorns in you.

Jim- Same here with the kid next door. If it were my yard he was destroying.....

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

I couldn't believe it-it was like a slasher film for plant lovers-haters???

Click for weather forecast

• chadec
    11 years ago

Great job with the yard! Now it's time for a guard dog!