Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Resurrection from the dead

User
12 years ago

One of my big, beautiful windmills seemed to be doomed after last Winter snow, cold, and ice. It had gone through three prior Winters in the ground but last Winter was just INSANE here--especially in terms of deep, long-lasting snow fall and below normal temperatures. Fast forward to Spring and it had most of its leaves blasted, then it had spear pull and two remaining leaves that had some green in them also died. I really thought it was a goner. I had since planted a second large Windmill a few feet away from the one assumed dead and was only waiting for the time to dig out the dead trunk. Today I approached it, and dreading the chore of digging out a dead trunk, I was stunned to see that a new spear is arising from the center! Moral of the story---BE PATIENT! Especially in coastal NE zone 7's the seasons really seem to lag (though the advantage is that first frosts are very, very late in the year). Last April and much of May was raw, overcast and rainy. It takes a few weeks of warmth for these palms to begin to recuperate. You have to wonder how many times people just chuck out these palms (assuming they are dead), when all they really need if some TIME. I am overjoyed!

Comments (16)

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Nice to hear. I hope it can produce enough fronds this summer to feed itself through next winter. I'd protect it this year to ensure its long term survival.

Here on the SE Delaware Coast we didn't have much snow after the Xmas blizzard -- a paltry 8" compared to NNJs 2 feet I experienced there visiting family. But we did have a few extremely cold nights in the mid teens. One of my windmill dropped two newly opened fronds and part of the next emerging spear. First time any of my windmills did this and I've never protected them. But since April, it's opened new fronds and pushing multiple spears. Windmills are tough.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Hope it can fully recover in time for you,mine took forever this
    year to come back but are doing so with a vengeance now!

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Im glad it survived! Keep us updated. Hopefully this winter will be milder and drier!
    -Alex

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

That's a relief. I know the feeling. The same thing happen with my pindo palm. I should have winterized the bud better. It sent out a new frond after I figured she was a gonner..lol. Your tracky will be just recovering before another winter and will need TLC to make it thru.

May I add to the "Moral of the story"---BE PATIENT and winterize tracky's well. A cold winter in zone 7 is too much for a tracky unless planted in a micro-climate of extreme southern exposure against a home or building.

Recovering palms once thought dead do remind me that Jesus is the resurrection. Good choice of words.

• statenislandpalm7a
    12 years ago

Being patient realy helps I had a sabal palmetto and a needle palm that were both defoliated and had spearpul this past winter and both are pushing new spears. I did have two small trachys that I dug up earlier that may have recovered. I think i should have waited before replacing them.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

StateIsland--live and learn. All too often palm growers equate spear pull with DEAD and chuck their palms out. The truth is that many species will recover from spear pull. Clearly, it's not good situation and should be avoided, but I have had complete recovery on the following species so far: Washingtonia, Phoenix, Bismarkia, and Tracycarpus. Half the time, the spear pull was the result of cold and the other half was too much water (rain) IN THE SUMMER. Yes, I will protect it for Winter 2011-12 but then it's on its own again (microclimate is Southern exposure against the house with full, unobstructed sun all day/all year)--hopefully last Winter was an anomaly.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Greg wrote-
    "Recovering palms once thought dead do remind me that Jesus is the resurrection. Good choice of words"

Oops,didn't you forget that in the story Jesus dies...
    He didn't just lose his head and grow a new one for Easter.

Seriously Greg,you are shameless in your plugs/attempts at
    being a salesman-LOL

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Oops,forgot to mention he comes back-left out the good part!

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

Yes, the resurrection is the good part. The response and compliment were not addressed to you. You made it clear in the past where you stand. Any mention of Jesus or His resurrection stirs your anger and if I were you I would ask myself why and not pick fights with people of faith.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Wasn't angry and wasn't picking a fight,sorry if you took offense.

Sometimes it's hard on these forums because we don't actually
    know each other and can't see each others faces to tell
    how something is said and what's actually meant.

I totally support your right to believe whatever you want
    and I am sure we could find much to agree on(esp about palms(-:)

Just as it is your right to preach or talk about Jesus if you
    want,it is my right to let you know i don't want to hear it.

It would be so cool to be able to talk to someone like you Greg
    and feel like they/you respect my right to my own opinion.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Didn't think my original topic posted was going to result in a holy war. The topic was meant to be taken metaphorically--not literally. This is after all, a horticultural forum--not a religious one. My palm, obviously, was never really dead--it did not rise from the dead (any more than deciduous trees are not rising from the dead in the Spring), so having the posting derail into a debate on the Father, the Son, the Holy Ghost and rising from the dead seems bizarre.

Greg, people are inclined to anger when religion gets rammed down their throat! The topic is PALMS. If you want to discuss Jesus, there there must be a more appropriate forum than GardenWeb. Heck, this isn't even HotTopics--it's the PALM forum.

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

I hear you NJ, and glad your palm lived. I see many non-palm topics discussed here and when you use the term "resurrection from the dead" it reminds me of Jesus. That simple. BTW, its not religion being pushed that causes reaction, but the mere mention of Jesus that stirs spiritual darkness to stop the light. If you doubt that, try bringing His name up a few times and watch the enemies of God rise up telling you you may mention anything but that name. The Pharisees told St. Peter not to mention that name. He responded "should I obey God or man?"

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If by non-palm topics, you mean--Dracaenas, Yuccas, Banana plants and Monkey Puzzle trees then I would assert that there is a vast difference between these non-palm related topics and diverting a posting into a revival meeting. If the Muslims on this forum started to post messages to the effect that only the followers of Allah would be saved and everyone else was bound for h/ll, I assume you'd be offended. Where else on this forum is anyone proselytizing?--In Jesus, or anyone's behalf? Look, I am a Christian, but I choose NOT to live in a religious theocracy, and as Independence Day approaches, we should all be grateful that the founding fathers were wise enough to explicitly reject merging secular and religious values and beliefs. This is secular, HORTICULTURAL forum, not the 700 Club. To suggest that those of us who have a problem with proselytizing on this forum are guilty of being anti-Christian is an insult to our intelligence. Happy Independence Day!

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

Around Christmas there was a "end of the world" discussion. Good point about muslims. If the Allah claim came up I would address it with the truth and not hide or take offense because because my TV tells me I should be offended.

A visit to DC will show "the founding fathers" have Bible quotes and yes "God" written on many monuments and at the top of constitution it reads "in the year of our Lord" refering to Jesus. They established a country on Judeo-Christian principles and NOT secularism which is what most evening news is selling you. Don't be tricked by the Devil oasis. The road to destruction is wide - secular and ecumenical. OK, since I've been accused, now this is proselytizing - do you believe Jesus paid for your sins NJoasis? God is listening to your heart right now.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Religious beliefs are complex and perhaps best not summarized on either horticultural fora or bumper stickers. :)

PS., Oh, and in the event you are NOT accusing me of being aligned with Satan's minions, you need a comma between Devil and oasis.

"Don't be tricked by the Devil, oasis."

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

I said this to you before Greg but you need to hear it again.

It IS your type of intolerance and belief that only your "way"
    is correct that put Jesus on the cross.

You would not recognize him if he came again but I think even
    you could avoid putting him on the cross........

There are many types of crosses though Greg-come down
    off yours sometime and have a real discussion....

It's never to late to learn something new XOXOXOXOXOXOXO

love you X!