Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Palm trees in NewYorkCity

Posted by royalpalm321 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 14, 09 at 12:15

I went to Rockaway beach Queens,NYC,it was the dead of winter temperatures were in the typical mid 30s.I noticed a small bush like palm growing right out of the sand.They were real becuase i tore off a small part of the frond.I couldnt believe these were palm trees growing in the south coast of NewYork city zone 7.I thought it was really cool

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Palm trees in NewYorkCity

There are a few cold hardy palm trees that, with proper care, will grow in the Northeast. Many people have had success with them, including myself. To have it growing by itself is pretty cool.

o

You know where in Rockaway beach in Queens is palm bush located at?

o

I wonder if these "palm bushes" from 2009 made it. Rockway beach is located within the most southern NYC limits with apartment buildings planted right in the sand. They have less snow and more wind/rain in our winter coastal storms. With the Rockaways direct proximity to the ocean, a needle plam or even a Tracky planted close to the building facing south would not even need winter shelter. The Ocean temp rarely drops below the mid-upper 40s at its cold peak.

o

Sounds like some Needle palms.

o

They could be needle palms, but I would imagine that they would have to be taking a ridiculous amount of neglect. Most bullet proof cold hardy trees cant grow along the beach (Ive only seen hollies and pines growing close to the water around here) so for a marginally hardy palm tree to be growing well is pretty impressive.
Any chance that they weren't yuccas. They are very very popular here (I have seen at least 10-20 species) and they can handle a lot of neglect. A pic might help a lot or at least a location so someone can check them out!
-Alex

o

I think its probably yuccas. ive seen them growing wild at a beach in Staten island

o

Spent a whole lot of time in the Rockaways back in the day. If you get the chance, check out the ruins of Fort Tilden. Tons of old bunkers that are mega overgrown. Has an Indiana Jones/Everglades feel to it.

o

The apartment buildings there are a few blocks from the ocean and if a needle plam was planted facing south with the building sheilding it from north winds it would survive there. Maybe the person mistaken a yucca for a palm but I would think someone on this forum may know better. Perhaps someone planted another type of palm that did not make it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here