Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Sago Palm

Posted by our12 So Cal (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 12:23

I had to transplant a large, 6' diameter, sago palm for construction access. It had a large "bud" extending up from the center of the fronds. It snapped off while I was moving the plant. Will the it survive the loss of the "bud"?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Sago Palm

that was a cone... won't hurt it much... should keep right on growing unless other damage was done (like to the trunk)

o

Most Cycas species put out pups or side shoots when the top is damaged.

o

Thanks for the information. I potted six pups from the base of the large palm during the transplant but I was most concerned about large plant.

o

What you should worry about is the stress of leaving the leaves on, if you did that, and the possible wounds you made on the stem when you removed the offsets, which WILL kill the plant if not properly treated. Just in case you think you might not have done something right, here is a page I found on a website that talks about both these subjects.
http://cycadjungle.8m.com/cycadjungle/Most Frequently Asked Questions.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here