Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A couple of palm questions please.........

Posted by king_fish se (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 12:30

Hello
Location, central Alabama. Please note photos of Windmill Palm. From a distance it looks fairly normal other than the fact we lost several fronds to our cold winter. Next photo shows the base of the tree, note the hair is gone and the base remaining looks to be much smaller in diameter than the remainder of the tree. Should we cover this bare area with mulch? Do we have a problem?

Secondly, Pindo Palm cut back from winter damage. This tree keeps trying to bloom. I have been cutting bloom pods in hopes that this would provide more energy for the new fronds to emerge. Am I correct in doing this?

PS Forget the multiple photos, looks as though I could load only one so I chose the base of the Windmill.

Many Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A couple of palm questions please.........

On the issue of cutting back the "bloom pods", if you cut back very early the plant could try to replace them. That means it's constantly putting a lot of energy into reproduction which is just going to waste. You could leave them to get to flowering but cut off before fruiting. That way the plant could 'think' it's done with the job of flowering and could get back to the job of growth rather than more flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here