Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_tess

Cat Palm..... Cat Friendly?????

organic_tess
17 years ago

I think I've finally found a standing plant that I can have in my apartment that isn't going to poison my three cats, but before buying it I wanted to double check here. I searched through the archived messages but only found reference to other speices of palm so my question is: Will this be safe for me to have in the apartment?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!! Andrea (me) Little Lee, Miss Winnie & Mr. Marilyn.

Comments (8)

• lzrddr
    17 years ago

Cats RAREly eat indoor plants anyway, but palms are nontoxic, if that's what you're asking. About the only plants commonly kept indoors that are truly dangerous to cats are lilies. All other house plants are pretty much unintesting to most cats, and indoor plant poisonings in cats is rare, despite there being hundreds of highly toxic plants often grown indoors. Dogs may be a different matter, but still, toxicities are not as common as you might think.

• sammiandfargo
    16 years ago

My cat likes to eat indoor plants also. I too was wondering about the Cat Palm if it was safe. Thanks for the info.

This website lists some non-toxic plants to cats (didn't have the Cat Palm though)

http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants.html

• mcgyvr2009i
    11 years ago

My cats have bit a few leaves off of my Chamaedorea Cataractarum and are just fine weeks later. So, I wouldn't worry about it. If you want a better indoor palm though, just look for Chamaedorea Elegans. It's definitely NOT toxic to cats. My cats totally destroyed a couple fronds on mine and are just fine months later. So is the plant, but if you're a beauty freak like me, I'd either train the cats to leave the palms alone, or keep them away.

Cheers!
    A fellow gardener

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    11 years ago

They sure arent toxic to slugs and snails. I wish.

• jmfsowerby
    8 years ago

A great choice for indoor (or outdoor) plants for cats are herbs. Grow a couple pots of cat mint, rosemary, or thyme.

• Suzanne Fleischer
    5 years ago

Cats for sure eat house plants my male cats has eaten three of my palm trees Down to stalk. He started on a corn plant which is toxic. Cause he can’t reach the other two plams. Now I’m worried to death. I have three of them. I’m looking for some trees to replace them that are tall n non toxic.

• Carrie Ann
    2 years ago

Sago Palms are extremely toxic to cats and dogs. Not all palms are safe for pets.