Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cat Palm..... Cat Friendly?????

Posted by organic_tess 28387 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 5, 06 at 12:32

I think I've finally found a standing plant that I can have in my apartment that isn't going to poison my three cats, but before buying it I wanted to double check here. I searched through the archived messages but only found reference to other speices of palm so my question is: Will this be safe for me to have in the apartment?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!! Andrea (me) Little Lee, Miss Winnie & Mr. Marilyn.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cat Palm..... Cat Friendly?????

Hi Andrea,

Cat palm is short for the accepted name Chamaedorea cataractarum. It grows next to riverbanks in Mexico. Cham's are good for apartments because they'll tolerate low light levels. Just keep it watered. I have 2 female clumps planted out here. They thrive on complete neglect on my behalf on the north side of my house. I don't have any cats. I have a beast of a dachshund. :)) He's a small dog, but is a beast.

Jeff

o

Cats RAREly eat indoor plants anyway, but palms are nontoxic, if that's what you're asking. About the only plants commonly kept indoors that are truly dangerous to cats are lilies. All other house plants are pretty much unintesting to most cats, and indoor plant poisonings in cats is rare, despite there being hundreds of highly toxic plants often grown indoors. Dogs may be a different matter, but still, toxicities are not as common as you might think.

o

My cat likes to eat indoor plants also. I too was wondering about the Cat Palm if it was safe. Thanks for the info.

This website lists some non-toxic plants to cats (didn't have the Cat Palm though)

http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants.html

o

My cats have bit a few leaves off of my Chamaedorea Cataractarum and are just fine weeks later. So, I wouldn't worry about it. If you want a better indoor palm though, just look for Chamaedorea Elegans. It's definitely NOT toxic to cats. My cats totally destroyed a couple fronds on mine and are just fine months later. So is the plant, but if you're a beauty freak like me, I'd either train the cats to leave the palms alone, or keep them away.

Cheers!
A fellow gardener

o

They sure arent toxic to slugs and snails. I wish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here