Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franktank232

Pic of my seed grown palms after 5 months

franktank232
13 years ago

I started these back in winter... maybe late Jan? Something like that... They seem to be doing pretty good... I may need to get rid of a few at some point. That is a 5 gallon bucket to the right for scale.

Comments (11)

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Thats a ton of growth! THey are already passing the strap leaf stage. Very nice washingtonias.

Good luck!
    -Alex

• franktank232
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Plumeria...started from seed same time... Palms grow faster :)

• butiaman
    13 years ago

I see you use 5 gallon buckets.I did the same thing last year with Tomato plants.Pots the same size was 15 dollars and the buckets were only 3 or 4 dollars.It dident take me long to choose the buckets.I drilled holes in mine with a hole saw,I grew some great tomatos in those buckets.I like the palms and plumerias.Good idea to start them early.

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

Stunning growth,I have 2 year old Filibustas that aren't that big!

• tropicpalms
    13 years ago

i cant believe thoes are only 5 month old seedlings!!! what did you do to them I know washingtonias are super fast but geeze! amazing. what kind of lights did u use or were they in a greenhouse?

• franktank232
    Original Author
    13 years ago

All i can say is i started them on a heating mat...used crappy lights/south facing window at first, and then moved them into a little greenhouse i have in March. Would actually move them back and forth...take them out about 11AM and bring them back in at 4ish! Greenhouses are awesome on clear sunny spring days...outside temps of 30 and inside around 90F...did that until mid May or so and since then its been so warm they have sat outside on the driveway. This spring has been very warm as most of you guys know.

I do fertilize? water regularly. I have a lot of gardening experience...been container growing plants for almost 10 years. I like the performance i get out of containers. Especially with certain veggies. Just WATER! a lot during hot weather. I'm always scared i'm going to fry the roots.

I got the seed of Ebay. I really don't know if i'm going to keep all these or what. I have WAY too many plants!

{{gwi:117988}}

Basjoo... just getting going. I store the corms in the basement.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like those 5 gallon buckets. They really are a perfect size, plus they seem to last a good 5 years. These are the same buckets from 2007 and they still seem in great shape. I had one just fall right apart (plastic got weak?)..but the rest seem solid.

{{gwi:42771}}

• franktank232
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Some of the same palms above from May 11th of this year...

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

That's awesome!
    Yea,in a greenhouse or with heat,Washy's really go nuts,as your pics show.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah...they just laughed when it hit 100F+ in there in April. One thing is i never added heat, and i had nights dip to about 20F a few times (outside)...inside it wasn't much warmer...and all i used was an extra blanket. The bananas just got some discolored leaves. Even a little crappy greenhouse can hold a lot of plants and give a huge head start on things...

• brooklyngreg
    13 years ago

good growth!

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County