Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pic of my seed grown palms after 5 months

Posted by franktank232 z5 WI (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 20, 10 at 12:48

I started these back in winter... maybe late Jan? Something like that... They seem to be doing pretty good... I may need to get rid of a few at some point. That is a 5 gallon bucket to the right for scale.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pic of my seed grown palms after 5 months

Thats a ton of growth! THey are already passing the strap leaf stage. Very nice washingtonias.

Good luck!
-Alex

o

Plumeria...started from seed same time... Palms grow faster :)

Photobucket

o

I see you use 5 gallon buckets.I did the same thing last year with Tomato plants.Pots the same size was 15 dollars and the buckets were only 3 or 4 dollars.It dident take me long to choose the buckets.I drilled holes in mine with a hole saw,I grew some great tomatos in those buckets.I like the palms and plumerias.Good idea to start them early.

o

Stunning growth,I have 2 year old Filibustas that aren't that big!

Click for Fairfield, Iowa Forecast

o

i cant believe thoes are only 5 month old seedlings!!! what did you do to them I know washingtonias are super fast but geeze! amazing. what kind of lights did u use or were they in a greenhouse?

o

All i can say is i started them on a heating mat...used crappy lights/south facing window at first, and then moved them into a little greenhouse i have in March. Would actually move them back and forth...take them out about 11AM and bring them back in at 4ish! Greenhouses are awesome on clear sunny spring days...outside temps of 30 and inside around 90F...did that until mid May or so and since then its been so warm they have sat outside on the driveway. This spring has been very warm as most of you guys know.

I do fertilize? water regularly. I have a lot of gardening experience...been container growing plants for almost 10 years. I like the performance i get out of containers. Especially with certain veggies. Just WATER! a lot during hot weather. I'm always scared i'm going to fry the roots.

I got the seed of Ebay. I really don't know if i'm going to keep all these or what. I have WAY too many plants!

Photobucket

Basjoo... just getting going. I store the corms in the basement.

o
5 gallon buckets

I like those 5 gallon buckets. They really are a perfect size, plus they seem to last a good 5 years. These are the same buckets from 2007 and they still seem in great shape. I had one just fall right apart (plastic got weak?)..but the rest seem solid.

Photobucket

o

Some of the same palms above from May 11th of this year...

Photobucket

o

That's awesome!
Yea,in a greenhouse or with heat,Washy's really go nuts,as your pics show.

Click for Fairfield, Iowa Forecast

o

Yeah...they just laughed when it hit 100F+ in there in April. One thing is i never added heat, and i had nights dip to about 20F a few times (outside)...inside it wasn't much warmer...and all i used was an extra blanket. The bananas just got some discolored leaves. Even a little crappy greenhouse can hold a lot of plants and give a huge head start on things...

o

good growth!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here