Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Somethings eating my palm...

Posted by outlaw_gardener 7a OK (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 12:56

I purchased a Parlor style palm last week at Wal-Mart. I potted it up in a pot on my front porch that gets only morning sun. I noticed yesterday afternoon that something is eating at the ends of the leaves. It's not widespread yet. Any idea what pest this might be and what is the best pesticide to use on this type of plant? I have a Kimberly Queen fern and Angel Wing Begonia planted underneath the palm. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Rodney

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Somethings eating my palm...

grasshoppers? That is usually what takes parts of the leaves off my palms, but there are dozens of leaf-chomping insect out there. I only have grasshoppers, but you might have a lot different bugs where you live.

o
RE: Somethings eating my palm...

Grasshoppers are also a major problem by me. They leave my parlor palm alone, but cannas, Brugmansias, and lots of others are not spared. I would keep it as far away from other bushes and the ground as possible. That seems to help at least a little bit.
-Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here