Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimhardy_gw

Interesting read on 2010-2011 weather

jimhardy
12 years ago

Keep in mind when you look at those record highs that this is

happening during a solar minimum-right!?

Click on the weather blog below the weather sticker

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1831

Here is a link that might be useful: Weather blog

Comments (9)

• us_marine
    12 years ago

Yeah very interesting weather. Once again its been a very cool spring and early summer. We did hit 100's not too long ago but most days have been running under average. Its going to rain, which is very rare for California to see in summer.
    - US_Marine

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    12 years ago

it is quite strange how the extremes are so extreme. what amazes me is how yesterday we had a record high of 106 and not just 4 months ago in February we had a record low of -22.
    Sure makes it hard to figure out what to grow.

• statenislandpalm7a
    12 years ago

I skimmed through it and its interesting how climate change affected the past year. It was extremely hot the past summer and extremely cold and snowy.

If the cold winters and the natural disasters could be avoided warmer temps could be a good thing for people growing hardy palms. The zones are slowly getting warmer on older maps my area is a zone 6 on newer ones its a zone 7. Maybe it will be a zone 8 one day.

• theseventhlegend
    12 years ago

It was an interesting read. Definitely an eye opener but leaving out alot of variables and causes for the Earth's rise in temps. I agree the weather has been a little nuts the past year and a half. I hope it levels off and returns to a more normal pattern.

• User
    12 years ago

I read the article and it confirmed what many of us gardeners already knew--the weather has grown increasingly dramatic in recent years--record snow, cold, heat, wind, floods, and drought. I believe world climate is still in a state of flux and moving toward a new "normal". (Don't think anyone knows exactly what that will be like.) Yeah, you might be able to grow more palms in current zones 6-8 but they better be drought (and heat) tolerant. Not looking forward to regular and routine water restrictions as a way of life. What's happening in Texas and other southern areas in terms of extreme drought is just plain scary.

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think it would freak people out if we had a non winter
    after the last 3 or 4 (-;....in my opinion we could see a
    non event or the worst one yet.
    It will be interesting to see what happens!

The weather has been seriously bi-polar lately!

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

I am not sure of whats going to happen. Its been 3 years since we hit single digits and that was a dry winter. The last two winters have had lows of 14 degrees, and lots of snow and rain. We may be getting warmer, but the climate is more drastic. I think this is going to hurt our gardens more, because they will not have a transition period which is what happen last Dec. I don't want to have the same thing happen here that happened in Texas.

• us_marine
    12 years ago

It would be cool if my zone is getting warmer as well. Could be interesting. Its got me thinking, will it be warm enough to grow coconut palms?! lol. One made it into mid Feb here. With a warmer winter, and a lucky warm micro-climate it might be enough to pull it through. But getting warmer and less frost is worth it too.

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

I think you will be able to grow coconut palm.