Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanveers

Pindo Palm: Dry newly growing fronds in the crown

tanveers
11 years ago

I have a Pindo Palm that has survived 5 Dallas Winters. This year we had a pretty mild winter and therefore, the Pindo Palm tree had a good early start and started throwing out new fronds until recently I noticed that the crown where the new fronds come out is getting dry. One of the new frond is also dry. The old mature fronds are still good and green. I am puzzled, what could cause this. We are having weather in the 90s+. Could it be drought? But aren't Pindo Palm drought tolerant? I have, however, started giving more water to the plant. I can't see it die as it's my favorite plant.

Any advice/recommendation is appreciated.

Please see attached photo.

Thanks,

TS

Comments (10)

• jacklord
    11 years ago

Similiar thing happened to mine up here in Maryland. Mild winter. I wrapped it in burlap, but never felt the need to use lights for heat.

Anyway, I have some dried fonds in the crown, but only at the top. Lack of water during winter. So yes, drought. I have simpy trimmed the brown off as the rest is still green.

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

It looks like bud rot to me. I would give a little tug to the spear leaf. If it comes out, then you know for sure it's bud rot. You can pour some peroxide into the crown cavity to kill the infection. The sooner the better, and it wouldn't hurt to water at the base of the tree if you're in moderate to severe drought mode, like lots of parts of the country are in now. But when a palm isn't getting enough water, the first leaves to go are the oldest, not the newest.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Its not only drought that can cause this problem. Usually it's caused by winter cold damage (maybe a combination of cold winter weather with wet weather). Pindos take a VERY long time to show winter damage. My unprotected pindo (it was a mild winter) started losing fronds around May from winter damage, but the middle fronds stayed green so it is alive. My protected one is growing (and had no damage) so that's how you know for sure that it survived the winter.

Give the center frond a nice tug and it will pull out. Then treat with some peroxide and water well. If the fronds continue to die from the middle, then cut the trunk down about an inch or so. This is a last resort as trunk cutting in just the right spot sometimes will be enough to get some new fronds to grow, but it will take about 2 summers for it to look full again, but it will look nice before that.

Good luck! Hope it makes it!
    -Alex

• tanveers
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I tugged the new center crown fronds but nothing will pull out. I am still concerned about the new fronds getting/being dry. Something is not right. Please suggest how to fix this issue. How much hydrogen peroxide should I pour? Should that be poured directly on the crown?

Thanks,

TS

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

You need to pour the peroxide directly into the crown cavity(the point where the newest leaves are growing up out of the trunk). There might be an infection that is killing the newest spear leaves, and the peroxide will kill the infection. The spears don't have to pull out to be proactive about it.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

I agree, definitely get some peroxide on the newest leaves and into the crown cavity! The damage may not have been done from cold, but there is some sort of infection going on and it will spread to the center and eventually kill your palm if you dont act on it soon.
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• tanveers
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have poured 16 oz bottle of hydrogen peroxide directly on the crown. How many days does it take to recover?

Also, I noticed some ants on or around the trunk? Is that a worry?

Thanks again!

TS

• tanveers
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Guys,

Still no life in the crown. What else can I do? The spears do not pull if I give it a tug. I am very concerned. Please help!

Thanks,

TS

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

Tzone7 is right on. Its due to cold and damp combo. I had the same problem after that cold and snowy 2011. the good news is that both of my Pindos bounced back beautifully and all it took was time. Yours seem to be taking a while but since you have no rot in the heart of the palm it should bounce back eventually. I would cut off the dry fronds and avoid overwatering.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living