Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
55 gallon plastic drums make great planters

Posted by palmmandan Michigan (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 29, 09 at 14:21

Had to dig up my Windmill this spring when I thought it was deceased.

Had hope it was still alive so went to the local Home Depot to find a pot. The largest I could find was a 24". It was only $20. And was cheap thin plastic. Was not going to worry cause I thought the tree was dead.

The big problem with the HD pot was it was tapered quite a bit. Was probably 14" at the base. The root ball barely fit and the pot was a tip hazard after I stuck the 4.5 foot trunk into the pot. Tree sat in that pot for about 45 days. Well 2 weeks ago green started to come out the top. Grew about 6 inches in 2 weeks. We had a bad storm last week and the wind knocked it over but did no damage to the Tree since it was leaning on the house. Started to look for alternatives for a new pot. Something big enough that was cheap was not found online or in the area. Driving by a carwash I saw an empty 55 gallon drum that had soap in it. Bought it for $10. Took it home cut it in half and drilled drain holes and washed it out. Transplanted the tree into the drum. It fit nicely and is less of a tip hazard. Going to make a grass skirt for it for looks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 55 gallon plastic drums make great planters

Hey,
Those are great until you need a 30 or 35 gallon pot. There are some places online that sell big black hard plastic pots. I had a pot company that had some 35 gallon stuff but have lost the address. Also, if you know any farmers, they buy cow feed in big pots that are 26 gallons. These work great also. Drill a few holes and it works great. I use these right now. I tried to get the company that made the pots to sell me some directly, but they would only sell me a trailor truck load, just about 10,000 pots. Dont need that many.

You have to really get creative when using working with big pots, not many people doing it. It works great though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here