Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palmmandan

55 gallon plastic drums make great planters

palmmandan
14 years ago

Had to dig up my Windmill this spring when I thought it was deceased.

Had hope it was still alive so went to the local Home Depot to find a pot. The largest I could find was a 24". It was only $20. And was cheap thin plastic. Was not going to worry cause I thought the tree was dead.

The big problem with the HD pot was it was tapered quite a bit. Was probably 14" at the base. The root ball barely fit and the pot was a tip hazard after I stuck the 4.5 foot trunk into the pot. Tree sat in that pot for about 45 days. Well 2 weeks ago green started to come out the top. Grew about 6 inches in 2 weeks. We had a bad storm last week and the wind knocked it over but did no damage to the Tree since it was leaning on the house. Started to look for alternatives for a new pot. Something big enough that was cheap was not found online or in the area. Driving by a carwash I saw an empty 55 gallon drum that had soap in it. Bought it for $10. Took it home cut it in half and drilled drain holes and washed it out. Transplanted the tree into the drum. It fit nicely and is less of a tip hazard. Going to make a grass skirt for it for looks.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company