Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Dwarf Date Palm advice

Okay, like the Sago, almost everyone (in Florida at least) has one.

Back in March, my local Home Despot had their Spring Black Friday sale and they had a bunch of Robellinis on sale, so I grabbed three, two bags of Miracle-Gro cactus/palm mix and some Vigoro Palm, Ixara and Ornamental fertilizer.

Upon getting them home, I planted them on the north side of my house along the 'winter shade line' so that they will get full sun during the summer and the fronds should get hit by sunlight during the winter. I amended the soil with the Miracle-Gro and some Black Kow as I planted them. I did not add the fertilizer because I wanted what ever Home Despot and/or their supplier had used (if anything) to do its thing. Plus I've read many warnings about not fertilizing much of anything after transplanting.

Over the past three weeks (so two months after planting), I've noticed yellowing and then browning at the frond tips. I've done my research and this seems to point to potassium deficiency, something I've learned is a big problem with palms in mid-Florida. So today I spent my morning expanding the cleared area around the dates by another foot (lawn mower was getting to close to some of the lower fronds for my liking) and I added some more MG/BK as well as half the recommended dosage of Vigoro fertilizer.

Why half? Well, I have also learned lately that Florida palms tend to do well with a 15-4-15 +4 fertilizer. But looking at the bag of Vigoro today it only states 8-4-8 with no +anything. But I also know that these palms are not 'Florida palms' so I wanted to give them a shot of fertilizer and then come find out how I should proceed from here.

Also, the past two winters have been 'unseasonably cold' for mid-Florida according to some locals, which I am not. I know that the pygmy date can not handle freezing temps and as mine are on the north side of my house, they will be in direct contact with northern winds. I have been advised to put Christmas lights on my citrus trees to keep them from freezing after almost losing my Key Lime to frost, will this tactic work for the pygmy dates as well?

Thanks in advance for any information coming. Yes, I am new to 'gardening' but I'm trying to learn as I go. Some things I learn beforehand... some... like this issue... after.

Comments (6)

• kinzyjr {Lakeland, FL - USDA: 9b, Record: 20F}
    11 years ago

I have about 11 robellini's and they grow like a weed here. It's possible it could be some minor transplant shock. We had a really dry march, and have been in a pretty bad drought up until recently as well. To up the magnesium in the soil, I fill a 5 gallon bucket up with water, and put a few teaspoons of epsom salts in it. Water your plants with it, and if magnesium is the problem, it will be corrected quickly.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, we certainly did have a few dry months there. Only recently has the rain started coming on almost a daily basis up here (Lady Lake, Lake County). I actually have a few 5 gal buckets of rain water stored up (no rain barrel yet, but it's on the To-Do list), I'm assuming I can add the epson salt to one of those? I will have to mix up a bucket and give the palms a drink from it when I have a 'dry' day. As the weather looks now, I'm looking at more rain for the next week. Not that I'm complaining, mind you... Thanks for the tip.

• kinzyjr {Lakeland, FL - USDA: 9b, Record: 20F}
    11 years ago

You can certainly add epsom salts to your rain water. They dissolve readily, and this is also the quickest way to get the magnesium to the plant.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update:
    I have given the palms a drink from the Magnesium augmented rainwater and it does seem to have helped. All three plants got greener and started putting out new fronds. So thank you for that tip.

However, while two of them perked right up, one seemed to be deteriorating still. I took a closer look at the fronds and found that they were not just yellowing at the tips but that there were black, brown, yellow spots along the leaves of the fronds. I went and checked the other two and they too had the spots, but to a much lesser degree.

From researching on the net, this appears to be a fairly common fungal problem. Suggested methods of control were to remove infected fronds, which I have done, avoiding watering from the top and application of a fungicide. I have never had to purchase a fungicide for anything in my life, so I'm wondering anyone has a favorite that they like to use on their palms? Any other tips I should follow to make sure that the problem doesn't come back? I plan on taking the infected fronds to my local County Extension for verification that it is indeed just leaf spot and not something more dire. Thanks again.

• aloyzius
    11 years ago

I'm interested in the outcome. Please let us know what you find out. I'm in Tampa and haven't been here too long so I'm learning too.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Fungus is often the cause of problems in Phoenix roebelenii. Especially in cooler climates when they get overhead watering. In many ways that seems surprising since they come from a pretty wet climate with high rainfall.

One of the best fungicides (least toxic) is Hydrogen Peroxide (sometimes just labelled Peroxide). You can get it at various concentrations, 10% is good. You pour it into the crown and repeat until new unaffected leaves grow out. The Peroxide breaks down into water and oxygen, so no harmful residuals.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022