Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a thin trunked Palm

Posted by Arteom North Highlands, CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 15:17

I am looking for a Clumping or Non Clumping Palm tree with a nice and thin trunk.

I believe I am in Zone 9A?

Thanks for your suggestions! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a thin trunked Palm

Chamaedorea microspadix is probably your best bet if you are in a zone 9a. They are pretty cold tolerant and when older surviving temperatures into the teens. They are very tropical looking palms (probably the most cold tolerant "tropical looking" palm you can find), eventually growing a nice ringed trunk, but very slowly.

Chamaedorea is definitely the best family of palms to look into if you want a thin trunk.

Good luck!
-Alex

o
RE: Looking for a thin trunked Palm

Are you looking at growing in a pot or in the ground? You have more choice if it's in a pot as you can move it any time the weather isn't suitable.

I'd agree, Chamaedorea are probably your best bet. C. seifrizii is another good clumping one, often called Bamboo Palm. It's the most cold tolerant of the "bamboo" type Chamaedoreas and can take a bit of sun once they get a bit larger.

You could also try Linospadix monostachya or L. minor. They're single stemmed and slow growers. But they like high humidity and don't like direct sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here