Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennywh2

Which palm is this ? (Photo)

jennywh2
10 years ago

Hello, I am not sure what type of palm I have. I bought it over two years ago and it had always survived very well with light watering (maybe once or twice a week) and in a big room but not near the window. I also mist every few days.
I have now moved apartment and have placed it beside a window in a very bright room. It has had the sun in the evening shining through for about 2 weeks (summer has been pretty bad here).
I finally looked up the different types of Palms and have been treating it as an Areca palm. I have started to water it maybe every 2-3 days, cut off some of the stems that had hardened on the tip so I knew nothing was going to grow from them.
The palm is now extremely droopy (had to tie string to help hold it up) and also for the first time, two of my fronds are going yellow.

Today, I repotted for the first time. It went from a 26cm to about a 35/40cm pot (probably too big of a jump I now realise). I did not touch the old soil, just added a lot more 'universal' soil to fit the new pot. When I lifted it out of the old pot, it came out very easy (which I read means it was ready for repotting) and I could see all the white roots around the edge of the soil.

Can anyone tell me, first the type of palm but also how I can fix what mistakes I may have made??
Thanks for any advise..

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner