Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Update on trunk cut Trachys 6-4-10

Posted by jimhardy Iowa 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 4, 10 at 15:21

Some may recall I had to cut back some of my Trachys this spring to save them from bud rot-here are some pics from then-later and 6-4-10

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

6-4-10

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Click for Fairfield, Iowa Forecast

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Update on trunk cut Trachys 6-4-10

That was successful tree surgery and a keen eye. I vote all the "survivors" get warming lites this winter to build up there reserves.

o

• Posted by butiaman 7b Douglasville,GA. (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 4, 10 at 20:53

Looks like there growing very well.You knew what you were doing.I wish my pindo could have been saved like that.Good going.

o

They are looking pretty good now. By the end of the summer I think they will be pretty close to normal. I dont think it will be able to handle another tree cut for at least a few years so they will need good protection for the next few winters. But after seeing such a will to live, I think they deserve to be a little babied for a few winters.
Thanks for updating us on this! I give this method an A+ for palms that have spear pull and appear dead. It probably wont work for more tropical palms but they work fine on the tolerant ones.

Good luck!
-Alex

o

Thanks y'all.

Looks like they are on pace with the other Trachys and
should grow as many(if not more)leaves as last year,they
will be a little shorter for their surgery but the patients live and flourish!

o

Just curious, how far below the "hole" in the crown did you cut it? I have one that had spear pull back in february. It has not yet put up any new leaves but the two leaves that are still on it are alive and well. Debating on weather I should continue to give it a chance, cut it, or just consider it a gonner.

o

I think its time to cut it back below the rot. Its already june so it should be grounding by now but the fact that there is still green means that there may be some good tissue if you cut low enough.

Hope the trunk cutting works for you also and update us on its progress!

o

Hey Ken

Try cutting down a little at a time,you should find healthy tissue if there is any.
As mentioned it should be growing by now.

Also take a good look at the leaves,are they opened up?
Are they closed?-sometimes leaves can look healthy for a year on what is essentially a dead plant.

Let me know what you find.

o

Cut gently and slowly and stop once the rot is cut away. Send pics.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here