Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wilting palm tree

Posted by benwood75 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 15:33

Hi all,

I have a palm tree in my garden that is looking unwell!

I believe it's a Phoenix palm and the leaves are looking frayed and ragged. They are also droopy. It is about 15-20 feet tall and needs pruning as it going over the fence into the neighbours garden! Please advise why it might be drooping and if it's ok to prune?

Many thanks
Ben

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wilting palm tree

Here is another pic that might give you a better idea!

o

Another pic

o

Doesn't look to be anything particularly wrong with it. Probably a Phoenix canariensis, but they hybridise with other Phoenix so there's a lot of mixtures around. Their fronds normally bend or droop like that. Some people trim the fronds and only leave the upright ones, but that's a very artificial situation. As new fronds emerge the older upright ones will bend and droop. And if that tree has just come out of a cold winter then yellowing and frayed leaflets are not unusual either. From those photos I'd say there's nothing really to worry about.

o

Great, thanks. So you think I'm ok to trim the ones that are invading the neighbours garden?

o

It looks healthy to me, except it was planted waaaay too close to the house. I wouldn't trim any green fronds, trimming green is like starving the plant of it's own food. You should never trim a frond until it's completely brown. Your climate looks as if it will eventually grow out of it, however it will be quite a while before it's tall enough that it won't be a nuisance. You will have to constantly trim healthy tissue which will result in the overall decline of the palm. It's already over-trimmed. If I were you, I would see if you could sell it, or have somebody dig it up and take it for free. Not an ideal palm for that location.

o

Another pic

o

Another pic

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here