Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brooklyngreg

Young Oleander Blooming??? Butia Palms recovering.

brooklyngreg
12 years ago

Some of you may recall Laura sent me some 5" Oleander seedlings. In all this heat, my microclimate & good watering one sent up a bud. Can the olenader bloom so young or will it fall off? Its about 18-20 inches high.

My butia that over wintered was stuck, so I did what jim did (surgery), but first I dug it up and tossed her in a large pot expecting it would die. I cut the bud far down to the browning frond but not below the apex it needs to grow. Well, she started growing back. So now I planted my butia yatay as a replacement in the ground and she's taking off.

Comments (11)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Oleanders can definitely bloom at that height! Im looking forward to seeing some bloom pics soon! My oleanders are all starting to bloom now. The one that stayed outside actually is blooming earlier than the one I kept inside!
    Glad to hear that your butia is recovering! My 3 year old butia just doesnt grow. I would get rid of it if it didnt fill up the spot its in so well. I did plant another butia in more sun so maybe that one will grow better!
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Glad to hear that your butia is recovering. I just planted one of mine this spring so well see how it does this time next year.

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Chad, just remember we have to cover it during the winter. Mine must of had some damage but continues to grow:)

Hi Alex, I have to post some pics soon. I am surprised the oleander has a bud. Its tiny now. Did you leave your oleander in the ground? The garden is bursting with all this heat and my watering. Its 96* currently. The bougenvilla I brought back from florida is putting on a show in all this heat.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Hi greg, yest I did leave my oleander in the ground. I protected it the same way I protected all my palms and it had no damage! It opened up even more flowers today!
    Good luck with yours!

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think I may try that one year. Good tip, never thought oleander could survived sheltered in zone 7a. It makes sense though because they are pretty cold hardy up to VB.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Hi Greg. I took a pic of my oleander in bloom. Here it is!

Here it is coming out of the winter. It was a little too big for its protection so it got a bit bent up, but it grew out of it very quickly! I really love the look of oleanders because they look good in dry climates, and wet climates too!

Post some pics of your oleander when it blooms! I think you should really try some oleanders in the ground. Mine isnt a cold hardy cultivator, but some of the most cold hardy might not need any protection (but some of them bloom less).
    -Alex

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Brooklyngreg, I've seen oleander winter over unprotected in gardens in Rehoboth Beach for years.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone...

Hey Greg...

Congratulations on the Oleander...cant wait to see pictures!!!

I just saw this post...im so happy about the soon to be bloom..how is it looking now?

Take care everyone...

Laura in VB

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Laura,

It is coming along, progress slowed a bit because we switched from summer heat to a cool 68 the last 2-3 days. I can see the pink emerging! Interesting, it is sending up a single bud for its first flower.

Hi Alex, thanks for the photo:)... your oleander is stunning - I love it too - its so warm weather looking. When mine blooms I'll get my camera ready:) Pink to red are the best colors. Is there a yellow?
    Hi Wetsuiter - that is good information to know - it helps me gauge what to try here in Brooklyn. If you get there - take some photos.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Thanks Greg. There is a yellow oleander (possibly several). The one I know of is hardy Double Yellow. Apparently it isnt a fantastic bloomer and itc cold tolerance could be better.
    I also love pink and red oleanders. They really look nice! I like white too and I just got one so I now have all of my favorite oleanders in my yard!
    -Alex

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Alex,

They must look great. When the yellow blooms post a shot. I tried white and it just got lost in the array of black and white in the city. I found the red-pinks stand out in this location better. I have limited space to work with:)