Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novaplantguy_z7b_8a

New Palm Addition. I just could not help myself! (pics inside)

So I visited a local nursery here in Northern VA that usually has LARGE windmills, pindos, even queens, foxtails, and christmas palms, as well as some large bizmarkias, king sagos, spanis dagger yuccas, yucca rostratas....etc.. ranging from 1 gallon, on up to 15-20 feet tall.

For a few years now I had been wanting a larger Roebelenii, one with at least a few feet of trunk, and one that was a single trunk in a pot. Those are not so easy to find around here, and when you do find them, they are usually several hundred dollars. Of course they being a nursery were selling those as well, but all of them at 3 trunks to a pot, and ranged in size from a 1 gallon, on up to about 9 feet tall with about 5-7 feet of trunk. Those were around 200 dollars or so. So I did some digging and low and behold at the very back of the large cluster of Pigmy Date Palms was a single trunked 7 and 1/2 foot one. One plant, in a 10-15 gallon pot. I figured it was going to be very expensive. Well, I found the price tag, and it was 150.00 even. I was pretty surprised at how inexpensive it was, and well, I decided it had to come home with me. Good thing we have a jeep, and it was a beautiful day and we had the top off. I saw ones this size at the beach (Rehoboth Beach, DE) and they were priced at about 350-400 bucks.

So, I have to think I got a pretty darn good price considering the size.

Oh and the other nice thing is that...

It is about to BLOOM!

I have to say, I LOVE IT!!!!! A pain to get in and out, but I do have room for it inside in full sun large sunny windows during winter, which is where my smaller one also thrived last winter.

Here it is:

Hope you enjoyed the photos! Thanks for looking!

Comments (18)

• jaynboro
    13 years ago

very nice. looks great. nice place to sit and have a cold one!

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Its a beauty. Mine is probably a little smaller than that and I got it for 70 dollars. For some reason they arent too expensive (Despite there slow growth). I think Im going to have to repot mine because its in a really small pot. I definitely dont want to lose it!

Good luck and enjoy your new beautiful palm!!
    -Alex

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys! Sitting under it and having a cold one is EXACTLY what I am doing right now! =o) At least we can pretend were "TROPICAL" here for about 8 months out of the year. =o)

• statenislandpalm7a
    13 years ago

Nice one. At my local botanical garden they have a 30 foot one

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Artictropical,

WooHoo!!! What a find!!! I don't blame you...You had to bring that pretty thing home!!!

Absolutely gorgeous !!! I'd love to have one of those beauties!!!

Congratulations!!!!

Laura in VB

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

Looks nice Ken
    Very cool set up-looks comfortable

• wsg89
    13 years ago

SWEET!

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all! It aint much, but its my home, and its as close as I am going to get to what I want for a while. Some day.... =o)

• protempsfish
    13 years ago

Your neighbours must be envious. What a great find.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

God that is a beauty!!!!

Where do you grow it when winter comes? I would love to try growing a few in the warm months, then...Not sure what to do.

Do you bring them inside for the winter and how do you care for them inside.

I love it!!!! I want to buy one if it is practical for up here in Mass..

Mike

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Being that I just got the BIG one, it will come in during the winter. Thank got we have 10 foot ceilings! My places has an EXTREMELY bright exposure during winter on the south end of it, and my other pigmy date thrived inside for a few months last winter. I do not really do anything special do it, just water it regularly. They do however get plenty of direct sun most of the winter through the winter. When I move it inside I next oct/nov I will post a photo of it in it's indoor home.

I dont have a large place, but I do have room enough for those. The biggest challenge for the big ones are space, and moving them in and out. Good thing is that you will only need to move then in and out twice a year. The large one, believe it or not I am able to lift the entire thing myself. It weighs about 85 pounds or so I would guess. It is HEAVY for sure, but not to the point where I can not lift it.

That reminds me, I need to go out and take a couple more photos of it because it is blooming like crazy. Ill post those pics here too.

• tnwindmill
    13 years ago

That tree is fantastic. One of my favorites, though I don't know how I could keep it alive. I had one last year that was much smaller in a pot. Moved it in for the winter, but it dried up and croaked. I don't have much experience with that species, but mine seemed extremely temperamental, so I don't really trust to get another in my zone. That what be perfect by my pool with a few lawn chairs under it.

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are the photos of the blooms. These opened up on Saturday. There are still two more pods that should be opening in the next few days or so.

• andyandy
    13 years ago

Those are a couple of great looking Roebis. I'm hopeful i can get mine to bloom this summer. Mine has about three feet of trunk. I bought it from a local nursery in October of 2008. It must have arrived from Florida that summer becuase it was with a bunch of others and they all had seeded. I'll try and post a picture later.

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Would love to see a photo of it andyandy! Anyone else that has these too... would love to see your photos of them. =o)

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I wish mine had blooms! Ill post a pic of mine tommorrow. I had one last year but it died while indoors so now I have it in a smaller pot and Im going to keep it watered very well throughout the winter months. The one I have this year looks absolutely identical to the one I had last year and was also the same price so Im right where I left off. Im still thinking of potting it up into a larger pot but I think the pot I had my previous one in was WAY too large.

Good luck!

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yay! More pics!

TZ7 my other, smaller, 3 trunked one that I have had for a year now did great indoors in the winter, except for a couple of bouts with spider mights, which I took care of.

I repotted that one to a larger pot right after I bought it, but only to a pot that was maybe 2-3 inches bigger than the pot it was almost busting out of. I think for these, smaller is probably better. From everything that I have seen, these do not mind being pot bound at all. I watered mine about once every 6-8 days during the winter, and do it about every 5 days during summer. I only let the water sit in the bottom try for a day tho. If it has not been taken back up, or evaporated, I pour it out. Usually though, I do not have to pour any out.

• statenislandpalm7a
    13 years ago

I killed a pygmy date palm indoors too. It just dried up. I have had great luck with my majesty palm indoors. i had it for 4 years. While indoors i water once a week and i fill up the dish underneath the palm too.
    Outside i water daily. This is the first year it is starting to trunk (5th year). there is 2 inches already.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz