Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get rid of fire ants in pots without killing plants

Posted by butiaman 8a Douglasville,GA. (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 16:22

I've had a bad problem with fire ants this year getting in my pots with palms in them.They were in my 2 big Sago palm pots,so I sprinkled some ant killer around on the soil.The ants are gone but the sagos look bad now.They are covered in white spots and the end of the fronds are turning a orange color.I dont know if the ants caused this or if it was the ant killer itself.Now some of my other pots have fire ants in them,most are small rare palms.I dont want to kill them by trying to get rid of the ants.If the ant killer caused this to big 15 gal.sagos,what would it do to small palms?Is there a better way to get rid of the ants?Any suggestions?
Thanks,Randy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get rid of fire ants in pots without killing plants

submerge the entire pot in water for awhile. the ants will drown and or float to the top.

o

• Posted by butiaman 8a Douglasville,GA. (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 19:03

I thought about the samething.I have fire ant bites on both hands and both arms.These have got to be the fastest moving fire ants I've ever seen.The pots there in is 3gal.size.Plus the ants can swim,they huddle together in one mass and climb out of the 20gal pale.I even moved the pots to a different place after submerging them in water and they found them and are back in the pots again.Any other suggestions?

o

I hear that there is some product out there were you can put a ring around a plant and the ants wont cross it so if you submerge the pots again to get rid of the ants and then use that product as a barrier, the ants will not find their way back into the pots and you should be rid of them!
Fire ants seem terrible. So far I havent seen any here, but there are tons of other plants that make problems and they are also pretty difficult to get rid of!
Good luck!
-Alex

o

another thing i have done to keep ants from climbing up the trunks of my citrus was to wrap the trunk with duct tape or another sticky tape, sticky side out. The ants wont cross it because they get stuck. you might try doing that to your pot once they are out. Just do a wide piece or they will make a bridge over it with the dead ants. other than putting those plastic bait stations and seeing if they rids them Im out of ideas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here