Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palmtreeguy

Where to buy palm trees near San Diego area.

palmtreeguy
13 years ago

I would like to buy palm trees for my home. More mature size palm trees to be exact. Anyone know a place near the San Diego area not named Home Depot and Lowes?

Comments (15)

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I would also like to know where some good palm nursuries are in san diego since I might be visiting the area. I think jungle music palms and cycads is very near to san diego (and definitely in San Diego County). If they dont have the palm you are looking for I dont think anyone will. They have lots of rare palms and lots of sizes to chose from. But they are a little expensive so if you go there you probably should only be looking for palms that are rarer to find. They have other nice tropicals and should know the best for your climate.

Good luck!

• lzrddr
    13 years ago

Wow... you could hardly live in a better area of the western half of the US for buying palms... 90% of the best palm nurseries are in San Diego County... if you can't find what you want in the local palm nurseries, you will have to buy it from Hawaii or Florida. Jungle Music, JD Andersen Nursery, South Coast Palms, Indian Rock Cycads and Palms, KW Palms and Cycads, Las Palmas Ranch, Rancho Soledad Nurseries and Multiflora Enterprises are all in San Diego county.. .sheesh... you are lucky! And this doesn't even included all the places that ONLY sell Cycads... or the ones that sell other tropical plants... there are dozens more, ALL in your neighborhood...If I lived in your area, I would surely go insane with temptation. I live in Los Angeles county and we have hardly anything up here (we all drive down to your neighborhood to buy palms). South Coast palms is currently having a going out of business sale so prices will be especially good, and Gary has some awesome plants for sale there. But really, you could check any of them out... must be over 1000 species available in your area!!

• softmentor
    13 years ago

also you can try Dov Grajcer (760) 393-3036 578-4584 dgrajcer@msn.com
    He has lots of wonderful palms and the means to move and plant them.

• james760
    13 years ago

palmtreeguy, first, which type of palms were you interested in getting? 2nd, jungle music palms has a great selection of palms and cycads but as TZ7 said they can be pricey. jungle music plams is by the 5 freeway in Encinitas. but if your willing to drive a bit i would try KW palms and cycads which is in Lake Elisnore, Riverside county. kevin weaver actually sells to JMP so you will get plams/cacads for wholesale price! but like JMP most of his selection is in liners to 15g. pots. if your looking for more common palms i would try southcoast palms for big palms for your yard or price all listed from above. TZ7, if your looking for some rare and cheap palms i would go to KW palms and cycads! a personally have bought a few from him, like my Brahea decumbens 5g. for $20 and sabal riverside, uresana and blackburniana tall 1g. for $7.50, livistona nitida tall 1g. $7.00, livistona nitida,decipiens, dioon edule all liners for $ 3.50 each! i would diffidently drive to lake elisnore if you come to SOCAL! if you would like to see the palms/ cycads i got for the price just let me no and ill take some pics but well worth the drive if your interested.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Thanks james. Ill check all these places out. Hopefully I will find something really nice. Thanks for offering to take some pics of the palms you have gotten from there. Im not going for a little while but before I do I would really like to see a pic of them!

Good luck!!
    -Alex

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

James, I was just checking the KW palms and cycads website and they said that there is a 5,000 dollar minimal. I dont think I could bring that many plants home! Im checking the other nurseries you suggested also.

Good luck!
    -Alex

• steelplayer
    13 years ago

I think the $5000 min was for the ken hennell collection

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Oh, thanks a lot for clearing that up!

• james760
    13 years ago

TZ7, thats probably to buy wholesale to other nurseries. all his plants are at his house, he has an acre and like 5-6 big green houses like 12ft. wide by 30ft. long. all i do his call him and go over but its always after 3:00pm on weekdays and all day to 6:00PM on weekends. ill give you his # when ever you are planning to go! just post a message when you are getting ready to go and will go from there! what palms/plants would you be interested in getting if you do head out this way? heres some pics of his house, sorry about some of the pics they didnt come out that good. Bismarck palm

Sabal palmetto
    Silver Mazari palm
    livistona austrialis
    Trunk of a Riverside Sabal
    theres so many palms at his house but its like a jungle and their so tall i cant get a good pic!

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Thanks james for posting pics. It looks like he has a really nice yard of palms. Do you know how far he is from downtown San Diego? If I can I will definitely be visiting!

Thanks again. Good luck!
    -Alex

• james760
    13 years ago

no problem, i would say atleast 45min. but well worth it! what plams come in mind that you would get?

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Im not really sure yet. I guess I would just look around and see what they have. I definitely will have to come up with some type of list before I go.
    Its a little far but Ill see if I can go!
    -Alex

• Ronj_san_rr_com
    13 years ago

3 sago palms for sale. All different ages...one over ten years old...all sizes. All at my home. Rancho Bernardo, San Diego. 858 675 8286

Ron

• 411luke_cox_net
    12 years ago

Best place to buy palms in San Diego is Las Palmas Ranch in Oceanide. Huge inventory fair pricing.

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

I wish I knew all this when I went to San Diego. But I was loving all of the tall palm trees outside I wasnt even thinking!