Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runswithdogs_gw

Palm identification and repotting advice

runswithdogs
9 years ago

Hi there, new to the forum because I have a mostly black thumb (I do much better with animals, I promise!) and am having a lot of difficulty identifying this palm.
I've had it nearly 8 years, from a seedling in a red solo cup, and was told it was a star palm. It looks nothing like the images of 'star palms' I have seen.
It has flowered only a few times since I've had it, and I have repotted it twice.
I repotted it a few days ago for the 3rd time and now it's leaves are drooping. Whenever it's leaves drooped in the past I would water it and they would spring right back up. I gave it a very small amount of water because some of the new potting soil I used was very moist and I know I have a tendency to overwater plants, but to no avail. Still droopy.
I don't think I did any damage when I was repotting as the majority of it's roots were very tightly coiled. I am hoping this is just repotting shock and it will bounce back, but I wanted to do some research on it's care but can't find any indication of what it might be. Hoping someone can tell me what it is, and maybe set my mind at ease that this isn't the end of the longest living plant I have ever had!
I will upload another picture of what it's 'trunk' looks like. I believe this is maybe why it was called a star palm because it is somewhat a star shape before it starts to get woody. I'll also include a picture of a few seedlings that I repotted.
Thanks in advance for any help! And please forgive my palm na�vet�, it's a slight miracle that whatever this is has lasted as long as it has in my care...

Comments (5)