Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heyjjjaded

Help Save My Dying(?) Windmill Palm

heyjjjaded
11 years ago

We planted 5 Windmill Palms in our California backyard 10 years ago. They have all been fantastic, until 1 of them started having trouble 6-8 months ago. Basically, over this time, nothing new has sprouted from the top of this 1 tree, while the many green branches that used to be there have almost all slowly turned brown and dry. I have attached a picture (taken today) showing how our 1 unhealthy/dying palm compares to our 4 healthy ones ... all planted 10 years ago. You can see the unhealthy tree on the right still appears to have a couple green branches sprouting from the top, but these green branches have been stuck like this for several months and refuse to grow/extend out from the top. These trees are in different parts of the yard, but they had all been healthy for almost 10 years and watering/temperatures haven't changed ... but now we are only having trouble with the 1 tree. Can someone please suggest something I can do to help my 1 unhealthy/dying tree? Thank you very much!

Comments (29)

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

I have a windmill doing the same thing, so I'd love an answer to why as well. Mine has been through 2 winters protected in ground and this is it's 3rd summer in ground. It did grow 1 frond earlier in the spring, but then stopped again. I have increased watering and fertilized, but no different results. Still just sitting there. As a matter of fact, it starts to get spider webs on the bud later in the summer because the spear leaf doesn't move at all.

• heyjjjaded
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I climbed up to the top of this tree today and didn't see anything incredibly different up there (no visible insects, obstruction or source of disease, etc), although I'm still not sure what to be looking for.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

If the newest frond that is emerging from the middle is green, then it can still be saved. If that frond is grayish brown, then the palm is already dead (sometimes dead palms take a while to look dead). But it looks like your palm is still alive. I have heard great things about superthrive. Its a product that usually helps with plants that are struggling due to root stress due to transplanting or some other trama. I have not tried it personally, but I heard its really helpful for people who's plants refuse to grow. Its expensive for a small amount, but you dont have to mix a lot of it in your water for it to work and you should combine it with some high nitrogen fertlizer and see if it works.
    Hope it makes it for you! Your other trachys look perfect!
    -Alex

• heyjjjaded
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I climbed to the top again to check the color of the newest frond and it is incredibly congested up there. Most everything is green, but nothing is actually extending/growing outward from the tree top. Its been "stuck" like this for several months. I've read about people treating the tree-tops with hydrogen peroxide ... is there any risk to doing this? If not, any ideas how much? I have already treated the bottom/soil with Superthrive. Thank you!

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Hope the superthrive works for you! Not sure what could cause root stress with such an old plant, but stronger roots will mean more vigorous plant growth so the superthrive should help with that. Hydrogen peroxide is usually to prevent rotting from fungus, I think it's worth a try to add since it shouldnt do any harm. Try not to get it in the root area although I dont think that would be a problem if it did. And make sure not to add too much.
    -Alex

• denninmi
    11 years ago

I can 100% tell you that peroxide in the root zone not only isn't harmful, it can help a lot with root rot issues. The grower where I used to work (he has since passed away) swore by using a 50/50 water/peroxide solution to treat root rot on plants such as ficus, for example when customers would buy them, then bring them back a month later, dying, smelling of sewer because they left them standing in water. Basic procedure to save these plants was to knock out of the pot, wash off the roots, trim anything really rotten, repot in a fresh, light, very gritty and well-draining mix appropriate for the species, then use the peroxide solution to water in. Definitely works great, use as a drench to saturate the soil. Then, use smaller amounts, such as 1 part in 10 to 1 part in 20, when watering. The oxygen in the root zone helps a lot.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

My Washy looks the same way-root damage.

Good advice above-I don't think you need to treat the crown though- better to dump the H2O2 on the roots.

Click for weather forecast

• heyjjjaded
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks very much for the help. I have all this going & am monitoring the results closely. Thank you!

• statenislandpalm7a
    11 years ago

Before you do anything check the soil around the tree. Make sure its not soggy. Does this tree get the same amount of water as the others?

• heyjjjaded
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Help. The tree is getting worse. I've treated with Superthrive, nitrogen fertilizer, and peroxide. The soil is not soggy or muddy. It gets the same water as the other windmills, which all still look great. The branches on this 1 windmill are still not extending out - only getting browner. Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

• heyjjjaded
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a picture taken today, July 11. Compared to the above picture - taken almost 3 weeks ago - you can see that our windmill is getting worse. I'm really hoping for any suggestions. Is it alive? Thank you very much! Jeff

• james760
    11 years ago

if you havent treated the crown with some kind of treatment for fungus like peroxide 50/50 i would do so as soon as possibly, dont no if it will help but its diffidently worth a shot. but the windmill is declining for some reason, you might want to climb up there & check the center growth to see if the spears still good. just pull the center growth to see if it pulls out but not to hard, just a gentle tug. if it pulls your windmill may be gone but i would still treat it with peroxide. windmills are notorious from coming back from spear pull.
    goodluck,james

• heyjjjaded
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, James. I poured a little hydrogen peroxide up there a couple weeks ago. If I mix it 50/50 with water, how much should I pour up there? Thank you!

• InsanePalmNinja
    11 years ago

I had the same thing Happen... I Fengerd it was because from Bad Protection in the winter, this Palm I have have Reboud this year its geting a Rose cone. It Small eouch now for one.

• shadowraith
    10 years ago

My windmill only has green on the stems of the fronds and the center spear is gone. Looks like it's goner. I've protected the center from rain as I thought it promote rot in the center if left wet. I noticed that James760 saying " if it pulls your windmill may be gone but i would still treat it with peroxide. windmills are notorious from coming back from spear pull. " Does that mean that there is hope? Should I pour hydrogen peroxide down the center hole where the spears normally start? If so, how much and what strength? The trunk section is 3' tall. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Yamacl
    9 years ago

My 10 year old windmill appears to be doing the same thing. We did transplant it 14 months ago when we moved to a new home and took it with us. Seemed to take the first year but this year the new fronds are turning brown shortly after emerging and flopping over. Not sure what is going on, used super thrive. Did have a horribly cold winter, two separate weeks of temps in the teens (which never happens here). 3 of our small ones that we planted this past summer seemed to have died after that cold snap, they didn't have much time to adapt unfortunately, but this one we expected to survive. Just not sure now what to do. How do we determine if it is root rot, or potassium deficiency, or manganese deficiency, or perhaps fertilizer burn? We have been using the Lutz stakes, and superthrive. Any tips?

• rhodesfarm
    7 years ago

hi we have wind mill palms live in Vancouver B,C we had a hard winter they have all turned brown what can we do? do we cut off brown? what do we treat with?

• tropicbreezent
    7 years ago

If they've been damaged by the cold there's no treatment other than removing the cold. Fronds are thin and the cold penetrates quickly. The trunks are thicker so it takes longer for cold to penetrate there but it will be happening. Some people string christmas lights around and then cover to hold the warmth in. If the cold hasn't already penetrated too far they should recover.

• rhodesfarm
    7 years ago

thank you the trunks were covered should i cut the fronds off

• tropicbreezent
    7 years ago

Cutting the fronds off will probably make you feel better but it's no advantage to the plant. If there's a chance that they will add a little to insulation for it then better they be left. There's a risk that a fungus might take hold in the crown, people often put some peroxide in as a fungicide.

• rhodesfarm
    7 years ago

thks then i will paint them green hehehe

• CoolBeans Torres
    7 years ago

I posted on another thread with pics of my windmill palms. I had 3 spear pulls on them. One of them is now growing back. I put peroxide in the crown

• HU-669656226
    5 years ago

Can anyone help as to what could be wrong with my windmill palm at all please? There are 2 of them and the other is doing great but this one looks like it may have root rot, can I save it at all? Thanks in advance.

• Juste Glinskyte
    3 years ago

We bought our windmill palm two months ago, its still in the pot, has proper drainage and this started to happen. What is it and how can i save my tree?

• donna creation
    3 years ago

I'm in central SC, zone 8a, and I, too, have had issues with Windmill palms growing happily for years, and then slowly dying. I've noticed the emerging fronds begin getting progressively smaller, sometimes over a period of 4 or 5 years, until they finally stop producing new fronds and then slowly start to die. I've tried digging them up and moving them, but nothing helps. Applying anti fungicides is useless. Now, when I notice this happening, I cut them down, even when they're still green and still look good from a distance. I have no idea what the culprit is, and it's very frustrating and disappointing. I don't plant windmills anymore, because of this baffling phenomena. I now grow Butias and Palmettos, which grow beautifully for me and don't display this seemingly random 'up and die' disease.

• HU-571978891
    3 years ago

A couple of years ago my dog pulled some of the "fur" coat from the bottom area of my windmill palm. Now the palm is looking sick and the "fur" never grew back. With the cold winter, could this be the problem? I and in the Southern Alabama area.

• Phoenix Rising (Zone 7a/b, NJ)
    3 years ago

It looks like my Windmill palm survived its second Winter in Zone 7/NJ., but was not thrilled with its lackluster appearance even in the growing season. I will probably take it out and containerize it for a season or two..., I have a half dozen protected ones in my garage that are coming out soon, I wonder too if some individuals just have better genetic tendencies toward robustness. My lowest was only 15 F but February was unusual in being persistently cold with snow cover, now all melted.

P.S., Yes, I think the fibers do insulate them some from the cold.

• HU-766304476
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I also live in zone 7/NJ. I have 2 Windmills that are covered during the winter. One looks great, the other not so great.

One has a huge bald spot on the trunk, with fur missing. The fronds are super small with brown tips. I did notice today, some ”fruit” appearing at the top. The company that covers/opens my trees did use H2O2 in the crown. The center frond is strong and did not pull out. I started SuperThrive today.

Should I be concerned about the missing fit/ bald spot? Should I amend the soil around the palm? Maybe mix in Cow Manure soil around the base of the palm?

Unhealthy palm

Healthier Palm

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio