Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pokophoto_gw

Pygmy Date Palm issues 'rookie at the controls'

pokophoto
12 years ago

Hello Gardenweb people!!

lets start this off with honesty.... i have lived in a apartment with no plants for the past decade. i just moved into my first home with the previous owner being a super gardner....... yes i am drowning....

i am the proud owner of

7 pygmy date palms

12 queen palms

a sago palm

and few other things i cant figure out yet!!

and being in my fourth month in this home, it seems like the plants and trees are starting to revolt. i have done my best to read up on the forums and analyze the problem myself, but i thought i should get some feedback from you. my pygmy's seem to be the worst off at the moment with yellowing at the the tips, some yellowish spots, and a couple have dead or brown leaves. what kills me is that i moved into a short sale home that was on the market for a year and the backyard was a jungle with everything flourishing, i move in, weed it all, fix the drip system and i then start to have problems. so it seems that i am over watering? i have very clayish soil that does not drain well and i think my system is set up for everyday watering, but the system does not deliver a lot of water (pressure issues).

so is the problem i am over watering

or am i under watering?

i am looking for a good regiment that works well in the brentwood/discovery bay/ clayton/ stockton area

thanks,

poko

p.s. i have not used and fertilizer or plant food since i moved in.

Comments (2)