Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diane_from_fl

Epsom Salt to Fertilize Sago Palms?

diane_from_fl
18 years ago

I read in our newspaper (Orlando sentinel) about fertilizing sago palms with Epsom salt (manganese?). OF COURSE, i didn't clip the article at that moment, and a google search shows that the article isn't even on line any more.

If you know of this, could you please tell me how to do this?

Thanks so much!

Comments (20)

• david_
    18 years ago

epson salt is magnesium not manganese.Manganese is what you want.

• unautre
    18 years ago

better to find a palm specific slow-release fert which has NPK but also minerals Mg, Mn, Fe, Cu, Bo, etc.

• david_
    18 years ago

unautre is right but you probably still need more manganese because most fertilizer dosn't have enough manganese in them.A few years ago my sago turned yellow and I tried epson salt,I tried fertilizers with minors but my palm never got better untill I added mangenese to a high nitrogen fertilizer that also had minors.You can also check out cycad jungle web site.He has several several articles about cycads.

• blondboy47
    18 years ago

So, what's a good source for "manganese"? Something that's easy to get here in Canada, like Epsom salts is so easy to get?

• unautre
    18 years ago

easiest is to go to your local garden center/chain store and look for "palm food".

here's one I use:

http://stokestropicals.plants.com/Carl_Pool_s_Palm_Food_P849.cfm

obtaining Mn on its own it not easy or cheap. I found a pro ag. product with chelatd Mn, but it was very expensive per 3 gal jug.

• david_
    18 years ago

in florida its about $4 at local hardware (ace)

• Fledgeling_
    18 years ago

just to note that sago's are not palms and do not respond optimally to palm fertilizer. They need different nutrients in different proportions than with palm fertilizer. Something higher in nitrogen is best.

• Terrapots
    18 years ago

Don't fertilize sago palms with palm fertilizer. I have many sagos, fertilized them only once very lightly with palm fertilizer and they turned yellow. Never again. They do great just with water and sun.

• unautre
    18 years ago

Sagos can suffer from nutrient deficiencies, with many web sites describing symptoms and cures.

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    18 years ago

Correct me if I am wrong here, but arent Sago's (Cycads) in the PINE (Conifer) family?

Its always been my knowledge / understanding that they are much more closely related to the cone bearing conifers, than they are Palms.

If that isnt the case someone please step in and correct me.

Thanks!

• poiu
    18 years ago

You're on the right track, but cycads are in any of three families (Cycadaeae, Zamiaceae or Stangeriaceae).

Cycads are more closely related to conifers because, as you mentioned--they don't "flower" in the same way as Palms. Cycads and pines are gymnosperms, whereas the palms are "flowering plants" (angiopserms) more in kin with Oaks, tulips, grasses, orchids) Just be aware that these angiosperms are then split next into monocots (grasses, lilies, palms) and dicots (potatoes, maples, brugmansias)...

• blondboy47
    18 years ago

After all that great info, still, what's the best ferts to use for Sagos? :)

• unautre
    18 years ago

I'd go with a palm-specific, slow-release palm fert to get all the minerals.

If new fronds come out green and stay green through their lifespan, your plant is ok.

• jetstream
    18 years ago

A good fert for in the ground use is a high nitrogen lawn fertilizer...with minor nutrients. Lesco brand, from Home Depot is a good one...has a high Manganese content, which is what they need.

For containerized Sagos, Dynomite in the "green" tube is also a good one. It's also available at the Depot.

...sagos are more interested in the manganese than the magnesium...Z

• jyothi
    18 years ago

I have two small Sago Palms which I brought sometime in September, they are on my bathroom windowsil where they get lot of defused sunlight one is doing good, and the other leaves are turning yellow for the past two weeks. What can I do to help the plant? Few times I watered it with the water from inside the house which has water softner, so is that one reason that its turning yellow. Please help I don't want to lose that plant.

• xerophyte NYC
    16 years ago

Dolomitic lime is probably a more stable source of magnesium than epsom salts which are highly soluble.

Manganese can be had in fertilizer spikes for a reasonable price via Lutz Corp..

I personally use Osmocote Plus for my cycads, with additional dolomite and manganese in the soil mix. During warm weather and active growth periods, I supplement with weekly liquid fertilizer high in nitrogen, such as lawn fertilizer. So far I have good results, being able to push multiple flushes of growth from my potted cycads.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    16 years ago

I ordered the Cycad Special from cycadjungle and believe it to be the smartest move I've made in months! :)

All my sago's flushed within 3 weeks.

I also have the Lutz spikes for my palms and have been happy with them, but for my sago's I'll stay with the cycad special.

• xerophyte NYC
    16 years ago

what is the cycad special formula? Does it list it's nutrients and %'s?

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    16 years ago

xerophyte - check out cycadjungle.8m.com

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company