Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

Late June 2011 pics of my yard (part 1)

tropicalzone7
12 years ago

Right now my deck is being painted so I am only able to take pictures of the plants in my front yard. I will post pictures of the entire backyard on Tuesday or Wednesday when the deck is finished. In case your wondering where all my potted plants are staying while the deck is being painted, I am keeping the plants in the pool area. I took a few pictures of those plants as well, but I have to say, it was not easy getting around the pool since my plants took up almost every inch of room possible!

My Sabal Minor is flowering! Its the first of my cold hardy palms to make a bloom.

My first banana to flower EVER! Its my Musa Velutina and I am already seeing some little bananas forming in the flower. Here is a pic of the bloom from last night

I tried to focus on the actual bananas in this pic, but no luck!

Musa Velutina pup

Hen and Chick plant is in bloom

This is my tallest plumeria. This is not its permenant spot, its just there until the deck is finished early next week.

My youngest coconut (from Hawaii last August). This is not its permenant spot, it will be moved to its permement spot when the deck is done.

My Sphaghetti Squash, mandevillas, and fig tree

I can taste the figs already!

Double Peach Hibiscus

Butia that has been in the ground for 3 years.

My Frostproof gardenia survived its first winter and is about to put on a show of blooms!

My Bougainvillea is a bit bare this year, but it is flowering more than ever before!

They are such easy plants. Mine was a twig 3 years ago and it has seen lots of neglect since!

Its still growing new leaves and in a few weeks it should be fuller

Musa saba in the front and the Basjoos in the background

Musa Saba, Red Cordy, sweet potato vines, Brugmansia, Musa basjoo, Med fan palm, Plumeria Pudica, and Plumeria Rubra no ID, Spiral Ginger, and Wandering Jew vines are all in this pic

My Oleander and Meditteranean fan palm survived their first winter and are growing very well!

My Spiral ginger is making lots of pups

New Frostproof Gardenia with a Newly planted Pindo palm. I have some cannas coming up as well

Oleander blooms

Saw Palmetto

Tai Monarch Ginger. I would love some blooms by fall!

Trunk of what I believe is a Solitare Palm

This Windmill palm only had a garbage bin over it this past winter when it rained or snowed. It was not given any other protection and it saw some pretty brutal temperatures (lowest temp was somewhere around 5F and 7F). Its growing well.

I finally found an annual that grows well in this long pot

Orchid mounted on the tree for the summer

Staghorn fern is growing slowly, but well

Gazeboo plants

Plumeria Divine (not in its permenant spot). Its making a flower! I felt so bad because the stupid hose broke off a huge branch of this plumeria. But that broken branch is now trying to root. We will see!

It should be blooming in 2 weeks (about 2 weeks later than last year).

My inground plants by the pool. The Cannas are growing very slowly, but they will eventually grow behind the plants you see in this picture giving a lush tropical look. The large banana plant in the pic is a Java Blue (or Ice Cream banana as it is often called). I doubt it will bloom this summer, but I would like it to get to a nice size.

I also have some butterfly ginger growing there and lots of other plants as well.

From LEFT to RIGHT.... Small hosta, Windmill palm (3 years in the ground),Cardinal Vine, Papaya, Livistonia (one year in the ground), Elephant ear, and Thai Black Banana (and a little bit of my other Windmill palm and a Canna)

Close up on my papaya. I wish I gave it a bit more sun, but it gets sun from 9am to 4pm which is a lot of sun. Its getting pretty big fast!

My Pixie lily is blooming much later this year

Variegated Sea Hibiscus. Its growing fast!

My oldest Coconut palm (3rd summer). Its making adult fronds now!

White Mandevillea

I store this philodendron in my unheated garage. It lost its leaves this winter (from the lack of sunlight), but it regrew them all very fast!

All the tropicals in the front yard

I have even more pics to upload. I think I might make a new message for the rest of the pics because I dont want anyones computer to crash, lol.

Thanks for Looking!

-Alex

Comments (29)

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow, Alex! The musa velutina looks nice and Its very cool that its making bananas! I will defenately keep the velutina in mind if I go back to va. I still love your coconuts very much and I see your little one has changed a bit since fall. I want to put my coconut in full sun so maybe it could look like yours but I dont want it to get burned. Did you start it off in the shade or put it directly in the sun? Do you know if it makes a differance what the color of the coconut is? Because I see yours is white and mine is brown. Heres what I would like to have outside in I go back to va.:
    Windmill palm
    Sabal minor palm
    Needle palm
    Sago palm?
    Jelly palm?
    Musa Velutina banana
    Musa basjoo banana
    Alex, you have alot of cool plants. I hope they all do well.
    -Hunter

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Hunter! Musa Velutina is a great banana to keep in mind! I bought mine last August and its already in bloom! Its my newest banana and its the first of mine to flower!
    I had my coconut in full sun right from the start. I figured that it was probably germinated in full sun so it would be happy if it was in full sun again. You could slowly adjust your coconut palm to full sun. It wouldn't look like mine until the fall because it would have to grow new fronds, but it wil definitetly start growing more compact.
    Thanks for looking! I'll have some more pics up soon!
    -Alex

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

Alex, have you heard the saying that you can kill plants with rock music? Because I have a wooden balcony right outside my room and I would like to put my plants there at some point but I play guitar and I also play some rock music loud in my room while im playing to it. Could I kill my plants if I put them right outside outside my room or am I being too paranoid?

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, you definitely cant kill plants with rock music, or really any music. I was in Orlando Florida and there were some very nice Bismarkia palms right in the concert area in Universal Studios. They have all different types of bands, but rock is a common one and they play the music very loud. The Hard Rock Hotel in Orlando also plays music loud and they have beautiful plants too! Some people say classical music helps plants, but I have never heard of music hurting plants. I wouldnt worry about that at all!
    -Alex

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

Thank you Alex, I dont like to ask random questions but I didnt know where else to ask. Thank you so much for not getting angry at my random question.

• statenislandpalm7a
    12 years ago

Alex

The pics look great.

My sabals are far from flowering but there is one in someone's yard near me that is flowering.

The pink bannana flower look really tropical

The spiral ginger looks similar to my basket plant.

Did you grow your papaya from seed. I sprouted some last year and they grew but they all died indoors.

Your older pindo should start growing fast this summer and your coconut palm looks great.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No problem Hunter! The best gardeners are curious! Its actually interesting that some people who experiment on plants do notice that certain music effects plant growth. Of course those plants are "listening" to the music all the time and the differences in growth arent too significant, but its still interesting if there is any effect. Some people swear that if you talk to your plants, they will grow faster. I personally think that in a way its true because a person who is talking to their plants is dedicating a lot of time to them, so their plants are getting better care!

Thanks Dennis!
    I grew papayas from seed every year with tons of success, but I always started them at the wrong time (last year I started them outdoors in late September and the year before I started them indoors). The ones I started in September actually did germinate despite the days getting cooler, but they died as soon as they went inside! The ones I started inside died as soon as they went outside because no matter what I did, they never were strong enough to adjust to the sun level.
    The papaya in my pic is from Ebay. I think it was worth buying it because now I have hopes that it might actually be a nice sized plant by the end of the summer!
    I hope my older pindo starts growing soon! The pindo I have in a pot is actually growing faster!
    Good luck with your sabal! And it seems like a ton of people are trying tropicals in your neighborhood. Other than several yuccas, figs, a camellia, and southern mags, everything is pretty temperate in my neighborhood!

Thanks for looking!
    -Alex

• statenislandpalm7a
    12 years ago

I noticed that tropicals are all over my area.
    Sothern magnolias, crape myrtles, yuccas, palms, and cactus are just a few.

I think i will make a thread with everything in my area.

Next time I get a papaya I will plant the seeds.

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Nice pics Alex, can't wait for the banana pudding!

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dennis, there really are a ton of hardy subt tropicals in the area! I have seen at least 5 different species of Bamboo and 10 or more different species of yuccas! Then there are southern mags, some (I wish there were more) hardy palms, crape myrtles, camellias, dusty miller, Some Cordylines (usually a few do survive the winter around the area), Figs, and probably lots of other things that I havent noticed or mentioned!

Chadec, Thanks! Apparently Velutina isnt the greatest banana for eating since it has a ton of seeds in it, but I will definitely be tasting it anyway. Its not too often that you have the opportunity to eat a pink banana (especially one thats home grown in New York!)

Thanks for looking!
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Looking good Alex-

Congrats on the Banana bloom!

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Jim! Im very excited to see it start to make bananas!
    -Alex

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

Oh yes,Alex Please tell me how the bananas taste when they are ripe enough. Ive been wondering how they taste.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I definitely will tell you how they taste! Im going to guess kind of similar to the bananas at the store. Im most excited to try the ice cream bananas, but first I got to get them to flower :)
    -Alex

• jacklord
    12 years ago

Nice. Would love to walk around there and soak up the vibe.

Question- Did you trim the tips of your Sabals?

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Jacklord! Yes, I do trim the Sabal tips. For some reason, even though I protect it and it stays at least above 20F at all times during the winter, it gets tip damage. I think its possible that it might be too dry during the winter.
    -Alex

• statenislandpalm7a
    12 years ago

Alex the samething happens to mine and I put some melting snow in its protection.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do definitely think that they are more tender since they came from a box store! I guess it will always need its protection. Oh well, at least its happy enough to flower and fast enough of a grower to replace all its fronds every summer!

Oh and the deck is almost done! New thread will be up with the rest of the pics by tuesday or Wednesday!

Thanks for looking!
    -Alex

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

What are those plumerias? They look nice.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Plumerias are tropical trees, but they make great potted plants as well. The leaves alone are beautiful, but they are amazing in flower! A lot of people are intimidated because they think they are hard to care for, but they are definitely one of the easiest plants when they are indoors for the winter. They go dormant during the winter so they basically look like sticks. I water my plumerias about 3 times during the entire winter and they still do fine. They re-spout their leaves when they go outside, or usually a few weeks before that since I put them by a sunny window and give them fertilizer and water in February (to get them out of dormancy).
    I got my first Plumeria in 2009 off of ebay and it was a 2 foot tall stick. It bloomed for that same summer and today it is my tallest plumeria (at about 8 feet tall!). My fastest growing plumeria grows about 2 feet of "trunk" a year. They are great plants! I really think you should give them a try!
    -Alex

• us_marine
    12 years ago

Very nice pics and plants tropicalzone7! :) Your garden always looks nice and healthy. It also looks warmer than zone7 too :)
    -US_Marine

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

What kind is it? I typed in plumera on ebay and lots of flowers came up.

• jacklord
    12 years ago

Alex-- My Sabals get the same tip burn. I have trimmed some but will now go ahead and trim the rest.

Where/How do you overwinter all those nice specimens?

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks usmarine! Im glad my yard looks warmer than a zone 7, I wish it was!

Hunter, I have lots of different plumerias. Some dont have names. The ones that do have names are my Plumeria Obtusa, Plumeria Pudica, Plumeria "Maya", Plumeria "Califronia sunset", Plumeria "Scott Pratt", and Plumeria "Divine". I have 2 with no name. One of them makes gigantic white flowers and the other makes smaller red flowers. All of them have a great fragrance, except for Pudica which has no scent, but blooms more vigorously than all the others.

Jacklord, I overwinter all my palms with christmas lights, a frost cloth, and a garbage bin. My Med fan palm just had christmas lights and a garbage bin and my frostproof gardenia just had christmas lights and a frostcloth. One of my Trachycarpus just had a garbage bin. All my plants survived with no problems with this protection, except my Sabal Domingensis. S. Donmingensis is definitely a soild zone 9 plant, and it did look good right up until March so I give it credit for that!

Thanks for looking! The deck is just about finished. I just have to move the plants and then some more pics will be up!
    -Alex

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

did the sabal domingensis survive?

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, unfortunately the Sabal Domingensis died. I think it was in way too much shade (thats not what killed it, but it would have been much more robust in full sun). It was a nice 3 gallon size (about 3 feet tall).
    -Alex

• jacklord
    12 years ago

Alex:

I meant all your other plants like the plumerias. Do you have a sun room?

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I overwinter my plants pretty much in every corner I can find! Fortunately my house has a pretty good amount of sun and during the winter every window has a plant below it! It gets a bit crowded and Im running out of room, but its better than buying new plants every year!
    The plumerias are the easiest to overwinter because they go dormant for most of their time indoors so I just keep them in a cool and dimly lit place and keep them dry. I did manage to keep one plumeria growing all winter long because I didnt want its flower head to abort (one was just starting to form from the fall). It made a full head of flowers right after christmas which was a great memory from summer!

I actually do have a sun room, but its used for other things so I can only fit a few plants in there.

-Alex

• jacklord
    12 years ago

Yea my sun room is actually a "multi-purpose" room.

:)