Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
statenislandpalm7a

Garden pics (post yours too)

statenislandpalm7a
14 years ago

{{gwi:79277}}

Those were my 2 5 gallon pindo palms I bought this year at sweetbrook nursery on richmond in staten island They were 35 dollars each Any ideas on winter protection

Those were my Trachycarpus takil's that I bought two years ago as seedlings from rolling thunder nursery for 5 dollars each I over wintered them inside until this year.

My cannas have seen better days they began two rot after we had two weeks of rain straight. I cut them back and hopefully the will live.

majesty palm (overwintered indoors)

new needle from lowes

various palm seedlings I got plenty of pindos anybody want to buy or trade

nuda bamboo

{{gwi:79279}}

vegies

grAPES

{{gwi:79278}}

MAJESTY PALM i HAD IT AS A HOUSEPLANT FOR 3 YEARS NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. i DON'T KNOW WHY nobody had any luck with them

Comments (12)

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

my cactus bed by the mailbox. I have cactus hensand chicks and purple ice

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sorry about the shakiness in some off the pictures

• frmmi
    14 years ago

nice pics and a nice coastal climate to try hardy palms.

• topher2006
    14 years ago

Do you have any extra bamboo ?

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

topher the bamboo shoots once a year and it already shot this year if i have some stray shoots next year i can give you some

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

here are some more pics

the second canna bed

ANNUAL PLANTERS

THOSE SPIKE PLANTS SURVIVE THE WINTER SOME YEARS

closeup of the seedlings

I will trade pindo sedlings for windmill seedlings or 1 gallon sabal minor

needle palm ready to shoot new palms

• Central_Cali369
    14 years ago

That's a nice job you've done with the palms. How will you protect them in the wintertime? Those palms will get pretty big within a couple of years, they grow pretty fast.

I've kind of started to drift off of the palm craze and moved into succulents. I've recently planted a succulent garden with a lot of drought tolerant plants. The major plants are still small (like some of the tree aloes and large agaves) but they're in there. Within a couple of years, the main focus plants will be large and will dominate the area.
    Here are a couple of pictures of the area. It is a work in progress and i work on it as i get the chance to.

{{gwi:1142558}}
    {{gwi:34141}}
    {{gwi:1139053}}
    {{gwi:34143}}

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Really great job. Heres mine so far.

Sabal minor

Needle palm

One out of two windmill palms. This comming winter will be their first one.

2nd windmill palm, this one has a double trunk

gazeebo plants

Budding thanksgiving cactus. You cant see the buds too well, but they doubled in size this past week because of all the cool weather.

3 gallon pygmy palm

Huge pygmy palm. Thats going to be fun to bring inside in september!

The cannas seem to love this rain. The wandering jew plant tripled in size since the beggining of april. The dark colored canna is canna wyoming and the green one is richard wallace

Orange tree and dwarf cavendish banana. The orange tree came from a orange fruit at the grocery store. I tried the same things with lemons with equal success. The orange is 3 years old and is just branching out. The banana is new and replaced my old super dwarf cavendish which would probably have fruit on it by now if it wasnt attacked by aphids last fall.

More cannas and some annuals. The variegrated plant in the back of the geraniums is an iris.

More tropicals. The cannas are canna petoria, and red king humbert. Also in the picture are some mother in law tounges and a potted pindo palm

This philodendron is making a great comeback after being burnt by the heat we had in april. Its enjoying our recent cold weather (at least something is) and pushed out two leaves this past week.

3 year old stromanthe. Usually has more color than this, and the new leaves are showing more color than the old ones.

Elephant ear and a sago palm. The sago just pushed a new flush of leaves.

My experiment. This pindo palm will be going through its first winter and hopefull will make it. I got it off ebay for a great price and got another one (thats potted) incase this one doesnt make it.

Huge yuccas that wll have to be treated as an annual

First year with plumerias. The smallest one is called plumeria divine and will never get big, and I have no idea what the big one is called, but it looks old enough for it to flower soon (it never flowered before judging by the trunk)

100s of air plants on a cherry tree. Got those off ebay too. They arent mounted on the tree so they wont be hard to take off this fall so they dont die.

Sorry for the darkness, I took the pics when it was raining. Hopefully the sun will come out soon because Some of these plants havent really taken off yet.

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will cover the palms with plastic and christmas lights

nice queen palm in the background

what is that tree that looks like a palm with two trunks

• Central_Cali369
    14 years ago

The tree is a jacaranda tree (jacaranda mimosifolia). I grew it from a small seedling and it grows pretty fast. I was actually wanting to grow it as a tall tree with a single, clean trunk but it branched after a frost killed the tip. This is its third year and i'm hoping to get some flowers either this year or the next.

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

tropical zone 7 googd luck with the pindo palm I am growing two in my yard

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Thanks. Im going to protect it with christmas lights, mulch, burlap, and plastic. If this comming winter is predicted to be really cold then I might build a cold frame.

Good luck with yours too. If this winters not too cold they should make it easily.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022