Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
statenislandpalm7a

Canary Island date palm in va beach and some more pics

statenislandpalm7a
12 years ago

I dont think this will be a long term survivor it looks like it defoliated last year. It was planted at a Mexican restaurant near the Chesapeake bay bridge and tunnel

i have some more pics from jungle mini golf which i will post later as well as my yard

Comments (22)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I think the palm in your pic is a butia (which really shows the variation in Butias because not only does it look different from the one behind it, but it also looks like its a lot more cold tender than the one behind it). The main reason why I think the palm in your pic is not a date is because the petiole isnt armed with thorns.
    I'm looking forward to seeing more pics around VB and around your yard!
    -Alex

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No im almost certain it is a cidp. The leaves arent showing thorns because they are stunted and did not fully grow out of the crown. The leaves are also a light green and felt soft as opposed to the rigid leaves of the pindo palm

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a link to the location it looks like there was a different palm ther a few years ago also they planted alot of sabals there that are not in the street view

Here is a link that might be useful: streetview

• islandbreeze
    12 years ago

I thought it was a Pindo too...

• dixieboy
    12 years ago

Looks Butia to me also, more than likely planted there last year but took on winter damage big time.

• tropicpalms
    12 years ago

i know that palm at plaza azteca its a jelly and they cut all the fronds off when they were perfectly green for some reason! nice pics shoe us more of VB! -Justin

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess the new light green leaves are misleading .
    I have some more pics I wanted to takenpics of the palms on the oceanfront but my camera broke on the trip.

I visited pungo palms while I was ther and got Alot of new plants

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

A Garden Web friend of mine drove down to Pungo Palms over the weekend. He said they were very expensive and was disappointed by the selection. Said same of other garden centers in VA Beach. I would've expected more too from an area that can support alot of palms.

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was satisfied with their selection.

I bought

A waggy
    3 types of opuntia
    An agave
    A variegated yucca alofolia
    A sabal palmetto
    A sabal domingensis seedling
    A pindo seedling
    A musa basjoo

I also got some Spanish moss

I wanted to get a fatsia japonica but they didn't have any potted ones

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are the pics

giant reed

sabal probably seed grown

big sabals

banana

sabal trunk what is the damage from?

Are the philodendrons hardy on zone 8

needle palm

another one

pindo

sabal

what kind of tree is that

eucalyptus

windmill

another banana

alot of palms

nice pond

upright windmill palm

med fan palm

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Great pics! I really like the variegated reed grass. They probably look weedy in the wild, but they look great when they are purposely planted! The Philodendrons look good too. My philodendron that I wintered in my garage has about the same amount of growth as the one in your pic. I guess they arent evergreen in VB.
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah I am growing some giant reed. I planted some last year and it came back this year.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I didn't realize reed grass was anything special or tender, since it's everywhere here . I pulled mine out because it grew too tall in my garden. Replaced it and some other too tall grasses and shrubs to make room for hardy palms.

• jacklord
    12 years ago

Statenisland:

I procured two Fatsias, one variegated and one not, off of Fantastic Plants. Very healthy, more than decent size, and they arrived trauma free. They have been living in my jungle since late March.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Statenisland, are those pics taken at Pungo Palms?

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jacklord do you have any pics? And if you don't mind me asking how much were they.

Wetsuiter no they are from jungle mini golf. The two last ones were taken at the oceanfront

• jacklord
    12 years ago

StatenIsle:

Look for yourself. The ones I received look just like their photos:

http://www.fantasticplants.com/

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Great pics of lots of fun stuff-
    Thanks for posting them(-:

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jacklord I saw the pics i might consider ordering one next year since i dont have any room this year

• jacklord
    12 years ago

I found them to be a great company to deal with. They good good marks from others as well.

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks let me know how they overwinter, since were in the same zone. Ive seen them at my local botanical garden and they were wrapped in burlap for the winter and they survived with no damage.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone...

Wetsuiter...talk to Justin @ Tropic Palms tell him that we had emailed each other..and i sent you to him!!!

Great guys..Friendly and knowledgable!!!!

Good Luck!!!

Laura in VB

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus